From Russia with love

Discussion in 'Dream Kits & Wish Lists' started by Billy Leliveld, Jul 23, 2006.

1. THANKS Mike,
    Great stuff!!!
  2. barry

barry Active Member

It's rough but yes it rotates if you have downloaded Metsequoia. It would need a few hours work to put it back to single sided faces, it might help a bit as a visualisation.

3. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

Hi Barry,

I've got both Metasequoia and Pepakura on my machine. Do you think I could load and then unfold your model? I'd like to give it a try if you are agreeable.

4. barry

barry Active Member

Send me an email addtress, as I said it will unfold double until you take out all the double sided faces but you are welcome to try it

5. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

6. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

This is dangerous!

Hey Billy,

This is dangerous! I'm supposed to be doing research and lesson plans. Instead, I am looking at some way cool sites about aircraft. Oh well, as an adult, I guess I have to take responsibility for my own time (tee hee hee, this is fun :>).

Here's some more back at ya. Just think if I could become proficient at Metasequoia and Pepakura- OH THE POSSIBILITIES!!! (English- WWII German X plane nirvana!!) (Russian-Drawings and techincal data golore, a veritable goldmine of models awaiting development ;>) (Federal Standard color charts- reproduce any aircraft/armour/tank color from WWI thru present accurately) (more of same- US military colors and name equivalents).

7. Tada!

He Mike and all other Ekranofans..
    Here it is , thanks to you Mike..
    It didn't come easy, it took 15 minutes a page to download (there are 5)
    Then discovering that there was a page missing..
    Even ekranoplanes can't fly with one wing, but I made a mirror image in Photoshop, so then I had two..
    The model comes in old fashioned 70-ties Sovjet quality, actualy nothing fitted..
    But I think this is the only existing cardboard model Ekranoplan in the world..

Cheers, Billy

Attached Files:

8. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

Hey Billy,

I must say, you took a model I considered 3rd rate and turned it into an A-1 winner!! Fantastic build!! I only aspire to this level of modelling acumen.

By the way, in my meanderings across the net in search of card models, I came across a slightly less haggard copy of the same model.

I have attached it in two segments for all. Of course, you will still have to create the mirror image for the wing as on the previous model.

I am inspired to attempt an ekronbuild of my own. I think I might start with this little Eskra, but I eventually would love to do an Orlyonok type or even an Caspian Monsteresque vehicle.

Unfortunately, I don't own a digital camera as yet. Perhaps I can get on Santa's good side this year?

Keep the ideas and inspiration coming!!

9. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

Credit where credit is due.

By the way,

I failed to mention the great inspiration that both Barry and Lizzie have been for ideas.

Lizzie your "Orcanoplan" is a true work of art. I remember reading some early posts from you regarding the wing coverings and joints. Frankly, my first reaction, sight unseen, was- "What the...?" Now that I have had the opportunity to see images of your creations, I am truly impressed. Great work!

Barry, thanks again for the 3D of the Lun type ekronoplan. After fiddling with Metasequoia and Peparkura trying to create my own passable model, I have a much deeper respect for your accomplishment.

Thanks again to Lizzie, Barry, and Billy for your inspiration and to all the other paper artists that make this forum such a fun and interesting place to visit.

10. He Mike, the Zip-files have the same problem, there's one wing missing, but here it is, if someone wants to build the thing...

Attached Files:

11. One step beyond

I've bought the plastic Revell kit of the Orlinok, here in Holland, just to use it as reference to start of my first cardboard design, I hope you'all forgive me....:grin:
    But check out this Dutch shop... If you like planes it's cool..
  12. Mike Hinrichs

Mike Hinrichs New Member

Hey Billy,

I am very happy to hear that you are planning to design one of my favorite ekronos!!! As I mentioned before , if you need a beta builder, I am more than willing to help out! Also, I'd like to be the first in line to purchase your completed model (if you decide to offer it for sale, that is).

I am including a couple of drawings of various ekronoplans I have found on the net. Perhaps they my be useful.

By the way, what method will you use for designing? (i.e. hand drawn, 3d cad, etc...)?

Good luck and happy designing!!

13. Thanks Mike for your support,
    I'll probably start a thread when I start, keep you informed.
    The beta builder seat is yours...
    Cheers Billy
  14. Zathros

Zathros Guest

Just out of curiosity. I downloaded this model fron "Russia" and after what seemed like days I finally got it. I was going to re-do it with Rhino as the model is kind've........crude? The model displayed earlier in this thread was beautiful, especially seeing what he worked with. Would the remake of this be seen as piracy? If I redo it I was going to post it for free as it would be an easy re-do in Rhino? Any opinions?
  15. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

zathros............. you can do anything you want to a model as long as you keep it to yourself.

If you change someones else's model and post it for free WITHOUT their permission, it is not a good thing.

Now if you design something yourself you can do whatever you want to do with it, but changing someones else's work and posting it is a no-no.

16. Zathros

Zathros Guest

It seems to me that a this 33 year old model is in the public domain. This model is from a Russian Museum. It was probably put out by the state and I doubt if their is anyone to contact. I agree with you that 99/44100ths of the time what you say is about changing the design is true. But by posting the missing wing of the model isn't much different than re-drawing the lines and matching the colors to the borders. I do not want to redesign or change the work. I merely want to clean it up. I am going to re-design it as I think the construction method is archaic and a better technique can be had. I don't think that framing is necessary. I won't post anything without contacting you guys first.
  17. charliec

charliec Active Member

Russian copyright is a special case. There's a belief that most works published in the old Soviet Union prior to July 1973 when the USSR joined the Berne Copyright Convention are public domain. Whether this is really the case doesn't seem to be well established.