Frog on Peco turnouts

basementdweller

Jul 17, 2004
SW Ohio
I am curently laying track for my new layout, as I install a turnout I run my test cars througth the turnout.

Here is what is going on.

I am installing Peco code 100 Large #6 insulfrog turnouts, my test cars are two Athearn / Bev Bel heavyweight passenger cars with three axles per truck, plastic wheels.

The lead wheels of the first truck ride over the frog and derail when the turnout is set to the diverging route. It does this on all turnouts.

Any car with two axle trucks run through the turnouts just fine.

Should I consider just switching these cars to better quality metal wheels? If so which brand? Do I have to worry about causing short circuits as I will be running DCC. Or is this a problem with these Peco turnouts?

Thanks for any suggestions.

basementdweller

Jul 17, 2004
SW Ohio
Thanks for the reasurance of using metal wheels with these Peco's. Today I bought some Intermountain metal wheels and will switch these cars over tonight and try them again.
No I don't have a wheel guage, I must get one.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Are these recent Peco turnouts or older ones? When they first came out, they were set to accomodate the toy wheels of Tri-ang and Hornby and the flangeways were extra wide; NMRA wheels would push over and climb up on the frog. If you bought these second hand, there may be no cheap solution.
You can check by putting a truch in the frog ans seeing if it will shift from side to side.

basementdweller

Jul 17, 2004
SW Ohio
David, these are brand new turnouts, thanks for the tip, as I have considered buying used ones off Ebay, I will think again.

I believe I have found the solution, I installed the Intermountain metal wheels, and WOW!!! what a difference, the cars run through the turnouts with no problems.

The wheels I removed I noticed had one metal and one plastic wheel, most likely for lights, they were in very bad condition.

New question:
How much side to side play should the axle have in the truck? Please don't make this too technical for me, is it none, very little, a little bit more, or doesn't matter as long as the axle doesn't fall out?
Thanks Martin

neilmunck

Feb 18, 2004
Glasgow, UK
www.gmts.org.uk
a fair bit is fine because the conical bearings mean the car always sits straight.

if they are nearly falling out then that can screw it all up a bit.

if you are not having problems then you are fine :)