Frist ROUGH draft of plan

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
First ROUGH draft of plan

I would like to hear an comments on using the RTS program and/or this first shot at my track design. (if I get it to post) grid=12"

Attachments

• Layout 01.bmp
    66 bytes · Views: 270

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
I looked at your attachment, you properly attached it and I'm not sur ewhy it doesn't show. I guess because it's a bit map? (.bmp).

You might try converting it to a jpeg. If you don't have the software, you can get free Xnview that will convert it and allow resizing to the 640 X 480 or less requirement.

If you can e-mail it to me, I'll convert it and attach it to your post for you.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha Jon, I don't have any experence with ral files, I liked to never got it converted to bmp. when I did it's just a dot. My photo software won't recignize ral files, so can't covert to jpg, how would one normally post a ral?

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
I convert to bmp, as you did (save as and pull down file type bitmap), then convert the bmp to a jpg. I use The GIMP to convert, but I ahve used Xnview which is simpler. You can probably use about any photo software that will open a bmp and just save as a jpg, then it should work as long as it's in the size limits.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
I can't get it to convert to bmp ( or anything else) Tried everything I can think of. the info in the help doen't seem to match the tool bar???? Any idea what I'm doing wrong???

jkristia

Aug 1, 2002
Simi Valley, CA,
Visit site
I just happen to have RTS5.0 installed (but have never used it), and I can see that in the "Save As" dialog you can save as *.bmp. So save it as a bitmap, open MS paint open you bmp file and save it as *.jpg. Or if you have some photo sw it might be able to do the conversion for you. Not sure if that helped or not, but you you want, you can send me the *.bmp fle and I will convert it to a jpg and post it.

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
OK, what you do is, within the RTS program, you click on File|Save as and you woll see a window similar to the atached show up. You give it a name, and pull down the file type list (see red arrow) and select bitmap. This will convert the RTS file to a bitmap (bmp). Save it where ever you like on the

Next you open the bitmap you just created using some photo software, Xnview, or The GIMP. Resize to 640 X 480 or smaller, and save as jpg. This will usually be a similar manner as teh save as in the RTS software, but depends on what photo software you have.

Attachments

• saveas.jpg
    saveas.jpg
    27.8 KB · Views: 257

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Thanks for the replys Jon and Jesper, I've done What Jon's post said, but it won't convert to bmp, or the bmp is just a small black square. I have the photo software to convert bmp to jpg, but I can't get a valid bmp file of it. Most of the times I tryed to convert to bmp, it's still a ral. when opened.??? I don't know if it matters but, I'm running windows 98 and until about 3 hrs ago I wasn't a computer DA

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
I think I got it. As strang as it sounds, I deleted the layout1.ral file from the rts dialog box and then saved it from the running program as a bmp- wah-lah( I think)

Attachments

• Layout1jpg.jpg
    Layout1jpg.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 246

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
I think this one is better

Sorry about the small size, it's a long,narrow layout and the window is limited to 640 pixels width. Also, my apologies for starting a software problem thread in the track planning forum, that wasn't what I intended. All comments/advice welcome.

Attachments

• Layout2jpg.jpg
    Layout2jpg.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 244

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Jun 18, 2002
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
No problem as far as clearing up software problems is concerned! :) If you specified earlier about scale I missed it. Is this N or HO? N would make it a nice long run with generous radius curves. HO makes the loops tight. I'm not sure I see the advantage of joining that spur on the bottom part of the plan with the yard at the top. It creates a return loop but without the opportunity of turning a train around.
Regards,
Ralph