Friday: Where Do the Loads Come and Go?

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Good morning folks

Hopefully the good weather will last through the weekend. My son has his first football game on Sunday. Hopefully he can make weight. From what I saw tonight if he doesn’t the team is in trouble as he is the only reliable center.

What industries do you have or plan to have on your layout?

On the layout I currently have the cement distributor and a rural grain elevator. Built but not yet on the layout is the Northern Light and Power power plant. Not built I have a cannery. I also plan to add at least one team track. I would like to have one or two more industries but I have not narrowed them down yet. I may go with a coal dealer and/or fuel dealer.

Herc Driver

I have a bakery, an electrical component manufacturer (2 work buildings and a main office), a train repair/restoration building, freight transfer/forwarding warehouse, paint manufacturer, and what might someday be a aircraft parts manufacturer after I build some jigs and major sub-assembly jigs. I'm trying for a whole restoration theme where older buildings are being reclaimed by investors with new manufacturers occupying the buildings while newer blue-metal buildings are going up right next door capitalizing on the low cost land and track access. I have three DPM old-city theme'd kits waiting to be built that will be placed on the layout's edge but give a feeling of just being restored and seeing new life. At the layout's front and center is a passenger station where the excursion trains depart from.

Attachments

• P7180456.JPG
    P7180456.JPG
    64.8 KB · Views: 79

shaygetz

Mine is primarily a tourist line ala Strasburg RR to justify the large number of steamers in a 1975 setting. The primary industries that are grain transfers to the north and coal for the power station to the south, grain on Thursdays, coal/empties on Wednesdays, much like the Maryland and Delaware line I loosely follow (still looking for a CF7 in M&D colors). The narrow gauge subsidiary reflects a former seafood hauling line turned tourist trade in its waning years.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
My planned village of Marlpost has a grain elevator (not feed mill), cattle pen, team track, coal & ice dealer, station, and milk depot.

Other plans include a sawmill, canoe company, and hotel/resort (for passenger traffic).

Andrew

ezdays

Out AZ way
So far on the completed portions of my layout, there is no industry. It has a rual area and a small town. The spaces I had allotted as industrial instead were used to support these areas and to my tourist attraction chapel. There is plenty of room in my addition to accommodate industry. Planned are a fuel depot, a brewery, a grain elevator and a large manufacturing plant, with products yet to be determined. All these things are subject to change of course...:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

LoudMusic

So lets use one of the most common train cargos - coal. And one of the most common (only?) usage of rail trainsported coal - power plants. A train leaves the coal mine and heads to the power plant. When it gets there do you go to the effort to remove the modeled coal? Or just pretend the coal isn't in the cars on their way back to the coal mine? Or do you have a hidden set of identical cars without the coal in them waiting at the power plant that you swap with the loaded cars and a set of hidden track between the mine and the plant to move trains back and forth?
lightbulb.gif

Or better yet (and probably messiest of all ideas) use live loads and a rotation dumper with a conveyor belt under the table to move the loads back to the coal mine. Muhahahhahaaaa!

But to answer the question of the thread, my layout was a limestone quarry and it had no destination. Just a bunch of 40' gondolas running around with giant blocks of limestone. Weathering was easy. I just mixed white and yellow chalk and dusted it onto everything. :)

Iron Goat

When I get to that point, I plan to have four industries on my elfin empire...
1) Grain elevator
2) Creamery, Block House, and Icing platform
3) Ore Mine and Mill
4) Stock yard and loading pen area

If space will allow, I would also like to add a small Bulk Oil Depot... but that is getting into
"want's" and "druther's", again....

Bob

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
So far I have a New River Mining Company with the Coal Flood Loader, Glacier Gravel Company, Blue Star Ready Mix, a Asphalt Plant, Magic Pan Bakeries, Hotel that is Under Construction, Northern Light and Power Substation, Peterson's Tool Specialties, 2 buildings that were custom built useing Nu-Line Structure Kits, and I am going to add a Blast Furnace, Rolling Mill, and Coke Oven & Quencher. I don't currently have the Peterson's Tool, Northern Light and Power Substation or the 2 Custom made structures on my layout but they are built and once were on my old layout. That's it for now.:D :)

Five grain elevators, cement distributor, printing plant, three unidentified warehouses, John Deere tractor distributor, cannery, a flour mill, propane distributor, scrapyard, plastics manufacturer, beer distributor, and a few others I can't remember.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
So far, A fastner manufactuer, plastic bottle plant, feed mill, fuel oil distributor,furniture factory.
I have a coal dealer, waiting to be put on the layout.
Planned: Bio-Fuel manufacturing, and anything else I can think of.