freight trucks

TCH

I was recently given some old boxcars and have replaced the trucks with walthers trucks.:thumb:

I now have a problem.wall1

my layout which I thought was level is obviously not as these cars do not want to stay where I place them.

what can I do to keep them in their place ?

hoping to hear from some of the clever people on the forum.

thanks aussie

N

nachoman

if there are only a few sidings where you have a problem, you can try planting "grass" between the rails that sticks up just slightly higher than an axle. By "grass" I mean some kind of green/brown plastic fiber to simulate grass. You want it to be stiff enough to keep the cars from rolling, but not so stiff it will derail them.

Or you can try increasing the rolling resistance on one of the axles on each car. Maybe you can find a spring to slip over the axle between the wheel and the sideframe.

Kevin

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
there was thread just like this a while back with the same problem,i think doctorwayne said to use 40 weight fishing line cut to size.its so small its almost unnoticable and its rigid enough.--josh

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Switch the trucks back...! ;) :D

The grass/weeds idea is one I have seen in practice a lot, and it is very workable.

Another option is basically to "downgrade" the trucks, but after switching them, why would you want to? This involves adding something to the axel to increase friction (suggestions include a turn or two of a Kadee coupler spring in the journal, or wrapping a soft wire around the axel of one wheelset and affixing the end to somewhere on the truck frame.

Last option I have seen is to "protect" the cut of cars with a blue flag (or whatever is used on your railroad) - basically use a pin with a coloured bit of tape on it to physically stop the car from rolling.

Andrew

TCH

I put about a quarter of a kadee knuckle spring on one axle
of one truck and this has worked very well.

thanks to all for your input

trevor

aussie