Freight car rule of thumb

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by llm32514, Jan 15, 2007.

1. llm32514

llm32514 New Member

I've got an MTH premier DASH-9 loco pulling 6 boxcars and a caboose. I want to add an additional non-powered loco to give the illusion of double-heading. Should I consider just getting a powered unit? How many cars can a single locomotive pull without overheating or damaging the electric motors?
  2. Geno

Geno Member

The dual vertical can motor design with flywheels, common to all modern scale diesels and electrics made by MTH, Lionel, Atlas, K-Line, Weaver and Williams, are some of the best pullers ever made in the last 50+ years. This universal design also incorporates traction tires embedded in the drive wheels and heavy diecast fuel tanks to make an engine pull quite a few cars with ease.

Your engine should easily pull at least 25-30 standard size freight cars, or a passenger train with 8-10 70'-80' plastic streamliners. If you pull diecast freight cars or Aluminum passenger cars you may need to add another engine for better low speed pulling.

The low maintence design of these Mabuchi vertical can motors use an external flywheel to maintain intertia and put out high torque. They are extremely reliable, so much so that you would have to hook so many cars to an engine, apply full throttle and smoke the traction tires for a few days before you would see a motor failure.

You can get a dummy and you would still have plenlty of pulling power, but if you get a powered unit it doesn't hurt- you're just extending the life of your motors even more.

3. Geno

Geno Member

duplicate- sorry