Freight car of the week pt. 7

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
And here are a couple more work service gondolas. The 117, from AHM, was formerly EG&E 4518, while the 121, from Mantua, is ex-EG&E 4517.

100_5537.jpg

100_5538.jpg

These cars were withdrawn from revenue service mainly on account of their 40' length, and many were in relatively good condition. The 117 has lost her original trucks, replaced with archbars from the spare parts yard. They'll be good enough for the low-speed service to which she's now assigned. Most of the cars downgraded to work service required little more than a patched-over number, while others, beyond economic repair, were cut up for scrap.

Wayne

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
doctorwayne said:
Bob, thanks for the kind words. Where did you get that chassis that's riding in your gondola? It looks like it's got better detail than some of the vehicles that are driving around on my layout's roads.:eek:ops:
Wayne

I used to think it was a Roco or Mini-Tanks issue but now I'm not sure, I found two of them at a model builders show in a junk box. One I turned into a swamp buggy, you see the remains of the other.

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's another toofer. The LV car is a Walthers USRA gondola that, for some strange reason, was on the "used" table at the LHS. The models had just been released up here a month or so previously, and at around $20.00 each, didn't fit my budget. This one, at $8.00, seemed custom-tailored for a cheapskate like me. :thumb: I added some grabirons and weathering. The Wabash "war emergency" car is from Tichy, and while it's too modern for my '30s-era layout, I liked it enough to bend the "rules". The C-D-S lettering is from a set intended for a 50' steel automobile boxcar. While I don't recall the price, the car must've been pretty cheap: I do recall that it had languished at the LHS for some time, as it seems no one was interested in an undecorated kit. When the price dropped, I grabbed it.:D

100_5768.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
This area seems to be a real magnet for gondolas. While EG&E 4539 obviously wasn't the subject of this photo, it's a good example of one of the four classes of revenue gondolas in service on the EG&E. The car is from Proto2000, one of four picked up at a good price because they were lettered for an obscure line that apparently appealed to no one at the LHS. I stripped off the paint and lettering, then replaced all of the over-size (and fragile) plastic steps and grabirons with metal parts. This required first filling the oversize holes with styrene rod, then redrilling for the finer replacements. The cars were repainted with Floquil, then lettered with custom dry transfers from C-D-S.

100_5412.jpg

Wayne

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Here's another Proto2000 car, this one carrying an oversize pole load. Flatcar 3449, used here as an idler for the overhanging load, is a GSC-type, from Walthers. The pole load, complete with the stakes and blocking, and cable ties, lifts out.

100_5407.jpg

Wayne