Freiburg Tram

Discussion in 'The Real Thing- International' started by TerryR, Feb 22, 2003.

  1. TerryR

    TerryR Member

    One for the traction guys.

    Is "Tram" the right word for this beast?

    Attached Files:

  2. RailRon

    RailRon Active Member

    How are these thingies called anyway?


    in Germany (where this 'beast' comes from), they call them 'Strassenbahn'. That means in English simply 'Street-Railway'.

    However, in the German speaking part of Switzerland (that's where I come from :D) they are normally called 'Tram'.

    Well, and how would YOU call them in America (or England, or Australia, or...)?
    Traction Car? Streetcar? Tramway? UPTRGV (Urban People Transporting Rail Guided Vehicle ;)) or another crazy acronym? :confused:

    Hey, come to think of it - this is really something I don't know! :eek: :( :rolleyes:
    So come on and tell us all, how YOU are calling WHERE these electric traction peoplemovers?

  3. swissjohn

    swissjohn Member

    Ron, Terry.
    Here in the U.K. we also call them Trams. Many U.K. cities had tram systems in the first part of the 20th Century and abandoned them in favour of motor busses. They are now starting to see the error of their ways and are building new tramways. (History repeats itself :rolleyes: ) When running away from the city centres they often use the converted trackbeds of normal railroads.
  4. kettlestack

    kettlestack Member

    Terry, John is right, here in UK they were called Trams or tramcars.
    Heres a pic of one of Glasgow's (Scotland) trams I used to ride to school on. They were all "double-deckers". As a kid there was nothing better than to ride on the upstairs floor :)

    Ahhh, the memories this pic brings back. The clatter and noise of their bell, and whining hum of their motors.


    Attached Files:

  5. Matthyro

    Matthyro Will always be re-membered

    In Toronto, we call them streetcars. I grew up in Johannesburg South Africa and we had the double deck units and there we called them trams. Brit influence I guess.
  6. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    Street Car

    The North American term is street car, although urban planners and civil servants want to call them LRVs (Light Rail Verhicles) or for that one, Articulated LRV.
    If it had a proper trolley pole it would be a trolley car.
    In Britain, there is a legal definition of Tramway, which also includes steam and diesel power (see Toby The Tram by Rev. Awdry).
  7. Woodie

    Woodie Active Member

    Trams they have been, and always will be. They tried (the powers that be) to change it to LRV..... but tram is it. Too entrenched as a name for them. well here, anyway.
  8. RailRon

    RailRon Active Member

    I prefer Tram, too. It's clear, it's short, and it's... well... a Tram! (What else?):D :D :D

    LRV for me looks just plain silly. I would never know if somebody was talking about a Tram (Lousy Rail Vehicle? :rolleyes: ) or about the buggies they used on the moon -> LRV = Lunar Roving Vehicle. (Oh well, at least for us oldies who used to watch the moon excursions with glowing ears...)

  9. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    No LRV over me...

    In Toronto, they were proposing an LRV line on Spadina Avenue. That met with much opposition. Then they suggested a streetcar line. We now have that.
    What's in a name? Lots!

Share This Page