Freebie A-10 build

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by MOS95B, Mar 14, 2007.

1. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Downloaded from

This is my first real attempt at an aircraft, so I figured I would share the pain with the group. The A-10 has always been a favorite of mine, ever since one flew over at a demonstration while I was stationed a Ft Benning.

This would definitely be a lot easier if my fingers were smaller, and more coordinated (and if I hadn't slammed one in the door yesterday :cry: )

So far, it's a pretty nice kit. 4 pages of parts, 2 pages of illustrated directions. Even though the instructions appear to be Japanese, the pictures seem to spell everything out pretty well.

The first 5 pieces assembled, waiting to be joined

More to follow. Wish me luck......
  2. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The good thing is that you still have 9 fingers to make this bird.

Looking forward on your construction report.
  3. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Next step. This should have been up a while ago, but I screwed up and had to redo the mid-fuselage (missed a couple of folds)

First pieces put together, and mid-fuselage/wings parts assembled. This model, due to the odd shape of the fuselage, could use some formers. But it's coming together all right

Yes! Those are tabs!! I ain't ashamed, either!!! ;)

And, an unexpected bonus! Add a windshield to the landing gear assembly, and you got a nifty little dragster!! (too large to post here)
  4. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Looks pretty good to me.

In keeping with a few posters here, I've added a Red Green signature as well. When I grow up I want to be just like Red.

Oh wait...I am...

5. Fishcarver

Fishcarver Active Member

Lookin' good so far! I also like the A-10, also known as the American Sturmovik!!

Nobi: if you are out there, maybe you'd like to take one of these puppies on? :)

6. Arjun

Arjun Member

What grade of paper did you use? I tried making three such models (two Flankers and an F-22) out of different grades, including annual report card paper and print stationery, and results were disastrous. My latest model has been made in drawing sheets.
  7. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Arjun, I am using Wausau Exact® Index, 110# Index. Nice and "crisp, pretty good weight to it, and easy to fold/bend.
  8. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

This was going to be a "Build report" thread, but then I got to the point where I hated how the individual sub-assemblies were looking, so I quit taking pictures. But, the model will probably be 99% together by tomorrow, depending on how much damage I did to my finger this time

This model is jinxed, I tell ya! When I first started it, I slammed my finger in a storm door, leaving a nice blood blister. So, I have no feeling in that fingertip to this day.

Well, today I had been given a mission to fix one of our storm drains before it rains tomorrow. No big deal, couple of rivets, screw it back to the wall, get back to working on the model. Well, I had the same dadgum finger in the wrong place, and managed to clamp it in the rivet tool.

I may have uttered a few "colorful metaphors" at that point.

So, the model will be finished when the swelling goes down and the color of my skin gets back to a more human tone.....
  9. Arjun

Arjun Member

Do you reinforce these models? How do you prevent their wings from getting floppy? I'd like to know how you got the round shape for the canopy.