Free Structure Plans

Many of might have seen this one put I'm going to post it anyway, just in case you have not.
http://www.nmra.org/beginner/structurewithwood.html

If anyone else is willing to share there plans with us, can we post them here.

draw1s.jpg

BurghThing

Jan 25, 2002
Coulter, PA
Visit site
I wanted to chime in on that other thread, but I see its gone. So I will ask my question here. How does the board feel about posting plans from entities which are no longer in existance, and thus are no longer available? I'm thinking of older craftsman kits like Muir Models.

N Gauger

1:20.3 Train Addict
Dec 20, 2000
South Eastern, PA
mywebpages.comcast.net
BurghThing said:
I wanted to chime in on that other thread, but I see its gone. So I will ask my question here. How does the board feel about posting plans from entities which are no longer in existance, and thus are no longer available? I'm thinking of older craftsman kits like Muir Models.

Are you talking about posting them here - or linking to them elsewhere... If the companies are truly out of business, then I can say yes, go ahead.. But if there's a chance that someone "owns the copyright" then you would have to ask the companies permission.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I find the copyright issue of recent interest because of some modeling I'm doing. I've made a master of a partcular item and sent it to a caster who has then knocked off a bunch for me in exchange for the masters. On these things I've always kinda taken the Grateful Dead route, one of the only bands who allowed the free copying and distributing of the recordings of their concerts. I guess that, in the future, should that or any other casting I'm involved in succeed, I felt I could revel in the quiet glory of a job well done, as many of the early modelers did when their work went on to mass production. While I do believe one's work should be protected if you feel it necessary, experience has shown me that there simply isn't that much money in the "Off Broadway" hobby market for me to worry about.

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
BurghThing said:

More than likely, they've been bought out by other companies who then have picked up on said copyrights so you'd really have to be careful with that.

F

Fred_M

It might be safe if the owner of the business died in his plane crash along with all his heirs, had no creditors, and the estate burned to the ground because the plane crashed into it. Otherwise somebody somewhere owns the copyright on said plans as it continuues on for many years even after death or closing the company doors. Sorry, but that's the way it is. Fred

F

Fred_M

Since there seem to be so much mis-information on most forums and such about copyrights, a quick google turned up a nice FAQ page puiblished by the US government and is in plain simple English and will answer your questions better that the grapevine of forum rhetoric. http://www.copyright.gov/faq.html Anyone else who wants to argue over US copyright policy should read this first. Fred