Free software that turns pictures into models!

the micromodels builder

Card Model Designer

The REAL problem, is that, I'm sick of just trying to draw little parts with NO CLUE as to how they're supposed to look! :mad: Do you REALLY think I want to blow 11 GB's on **** that won't build up right?!announce1

Stev0

That kind of software is kind of magical. I'm not trying to be a jerk in saying this but asking for this is pretty much like asking for software that allows you to create a finished card model with one button push.

Your just going to have to design them like the rest of us. If you don't have the patience to design something then how can you have patience to build anything?

Since you don't have examples of what you want to build, I can't help you.

What I CAN say is to look at what you want, what you want for scale, how far you want to go with detail and plan around that. Always break something down into simple parts and 'layer' details as you go. Always be patient with your approach. Don't rush a project. If you digitally model something, it doesn't hurt to grab paper and pencil and create various views of it. If you can hash out on paper what you want to design by creating it on paper with a pencil then more than likely your not going to have a problem designing it in 3D.

Search the net for references. Get to know your subject as if it was sitting right there in the room with you. Don't forget to check out some of the threads of designers here. Look at how they do it. The idea here on the forum is not to show off what you built but to learn from successes and mistakes of others and fast track your learning.

For example, I learned software fast in my course because I spent a lot of time around other students and was attentive to everything everyone was doing. I was able to absorb a great deal more information in that setting than by myself.

So use this forum not as a place to post pictures of what you have done but as a tool to learn things that you would not be able to do on your own. I myself never thought I would ever be able to hold in my hand something I created in 3D until I learned how to turn models from 1's and 0's into actual card models.

the micromodels builder

Card Model Designer
all right. I've been gathering pictures of the subjects I was planning to build. :D Things are working out now. I got a picture of two of the models. I'll get then here by the end of the weekend! How's that sound?! :D

Stev0

excellent.

When you have enough pictures. Try to create your own reference by drawing the top view, side view and front view.

Keep it simple by starting with overall simple shapes. Don't fuss about dimensions for now. Rough in some rough details.

It will become an exercise in understanding your subject.

Art Decko

Buying a camera won't make you a photographer. Owning a guitar won't make you a musician. Having a copy of Metasequoia won't make you a card designer.

All these things are tools that help you do a job. While they are powerful tools indeed, they are worthless unless you first know some basics about photography, music, or card design.

In my opinion, the best way to learn to design is to start without such powerful tools. Trying to use a program like Metasequoia to design a WWII fighter (or whatever) as your very first model would be like trying to learn to drive by slipping behind the wheel of 747, intending to fly solo to Paris on your first try -- the basics that you need to learn first will be completely overshadowed by the sheer complexity and capability.

My suggestion is to stat with something very basic, and design it with a ruler and pencil. You need to get your mind around breaking 3D objects into sub-assemblies that can be produced with a nearly 2D material that can be printed on one side. First, get *that* down.

Once you begin to feel comfortable designing simple things, you can start exploring how to do that more easily using an application. Then you can begin to use the application's capabilities to enhance your growing skills and ideas.

Like any skill worth learning, it won't happen overnight. It takes concentration and practice. Study your results to learn from your mistakes and successes. Soon you will find yourself designing increasingly complex objects as you build your experience and knowledge.

Good luck ... and have fun! :)

Lex

Dollmaker
Yes... As Art Decko said... it's not something you could do at a flash, bur believe me, it's not that hard to learn (otherwise we wouldn't see so many designers here) ^^ So take your time, and make small steps ;)

A

ARMORMAN

Strata Studio Pro EX will do that. But it definitely is not free...

xavs

I know that some times we want a magical wand for every thing, i'm a math teacher in elementary scholl, i have some idea about forms and plane draws, but no clue about 3d graphics, so searching i found:
Metasequoia English Documentation and Tutorial
I think it's a great help for us that have no clue about it, and we'll apreciate any help of those with experience, I'm going to start the tutorial and I hope to get some model soon:thumb:

the micromodels builder

Card Model Designer
Oh, hi. I was working on a 3rd siren model. The other two will take a little more time to "finish up" , but, I've been working on a 3rd siren. Ones with a simpler design. I'm working on the simpler design for now. But, I'll get back to the other siren later. :) It appears as though some ^&*hole took the photo I had. But here's the plans for the SD-10 siren.

SD-10displayversion.jpg

Nath Smith

ahh cheers for the info here, I have a few projestc that I have always wanted to do and this would be the way to go to develope them :)

mrmaps

Dances with Rockets
profile modeling

Umm, actually, there is software to create 3d models from digital photography, I use it nearly daily.

You can see a quick sample of a digital model created with this process at
http://www.cdarc.org/what-we-do/current-projects/virtual-vault/

I've currently got hundreds of digital artifact models created through this system. It's not cheap, and it requires careful and thoughtful photography, but when you get it working right, its pretty amazing. The one achilles heel of this type of profile modeling system is that because your working with 2d-photographs, concavity is a serious problem. You often need to export model geometry out to 3ds max to perform a Boolean subtraction to remove concave areas from your model. But then the system really shines and automatically generates photorealsitic textures to your model's geometry.

The best version of this profile modeling software is called 3dsom and is available at http://www.3dsom.com

A less expensive version is called photo3d, from http://www.strata.com, but this method cannot handle concavity at all.

Both systems have 30 day demos to try out.

Cheers,
Maps.

Currently building Uhu02's Space Pod. Page is 1 done.

silveroxide

I cannot help you in finding that program you asked for in the beginning of this thread, but my micro-processor allows me to look at pictures and with the aid of a mechanical pencil, ruler, protractor and various other handy items, I tend to make items out of pictures or sometimes out of my imagination. I do it the old fashion way, computers are great and enhance the hobby, but a computer is only as smart as the mind that controls it.

If you ever find that program, let the rest of us know and on that day we will know that we are close to making a replicator