Free model of an 1963 harbour crane from Rostock

Discussion in 'Everything else' started by Markus Schweizer, May 22, 2014.

1. Hello,

there is an art project in Zurich (Switzerland) where they transfered an old harbour crane (built in 1963) from Rostock (Germany) to the city of Zurich.

This inspired Mrs. Klaudia Meisterhans to create a free downloadable paper-model of the crane.
    Link to the model:

In another thread she describes the scale as 1:105.

Kind regards

Markus Schweizer
    Rhaven Blaack likes this.
  2. Rhaven Blaack

Rhaven Blaack ADMINISTRATOR Administrator

These are both quite interesting.
    Thank you for sharing them with us!
  3. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

Do you know how much weight that crane could support? Just build 5 or so Penthouses into the structure, some restaurant structures, so the crane in buried, but see in the structure and watch the prices of these units fly right up to the sky! :)
  4. Hello,
    the crane itself has a weight of 90 tons, but I found no information what it can support. A coworker of me once worked as an electrician inside the cranes, perhaps I can ask him.

Somebody in the netherlands had a similar idea and converted an old crane to a hotel:
    the harbour crane hotel in Harlingen. It has room for only 2 persons.
    Prices start at 319€ (approx. 435 US $) per night..
    In the description they say that You can rotate the crane 360°, also while lying in bed and watch different views.
  5. zathros

zathros SENIOR Administrator

With the right engineer, I bet that crane could be the bases for a very interesting set of apartments, offices, stores, or all of the above. :)