FREE Model Competion

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Bowdenja, Nov 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

yes all its getting close to this nice time (till the next contest :) )

please u all

found the time to check the contest website and note me if i miss any model in the gallery :)
  2. pbhawkin

pbhawkin Member

My entry

Hi all,
    Well I have finally finished this Submarine.
    Like the real thing it has survived a few battles with the 3 kids (all under 5), cat and wife during it's build!
    Although being modelled on the type that attacked Pearl Harbor it is also the same as the 4 that attacked Sydney during WW2.

It can be found at:

Attached Files:

3. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Great build peter! I am glad I dont have the job of deciding the top 5!
  4. RAleischman

RAleischman New Member

Attached Files:

5. RAleischman

RAleischman New Member

Why's the picture HUGE??

Can anyone tell me why my picture of the Cleopatra Barge is so HUGE and how I can prevent that from happening again??

6. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You need to change the image size to 800x600 ish - it is just displaying the picture at the size if the pic :)
  7. RAleischman

RAleischman New Member

Attached Files:

8. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

You did a nice job building that - is the obelisk inside? :)
  9. s33k3r

s33k3r Member

Attached Files:

10. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I blew a line on my transmission which right now is throwing a wrench in getting pics taken of my work.

Life is not fair. DOH!
  11. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

12. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

oky i update with all the pic for noew please found the time to check it and note me if i miss 1

i like all the work and i wish i can gave all of u 1's plase

we have more 2 long day till we close this graet funny time :)

i anjoy to be part of this contest and this topic and part off all members work :) so...till the next contest :)
  13. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

My Entry

Hello everyone. Thanks to all that have done a great job. This is my entry. First off want to thank (jleslie48) for his web site and all those that gave of themselves to give out the free models on his site. I at some time will design and give to John my first design to help give back what everyone has given to me. I first started Card Models in May of this year. I was looking for Real Space Models when I found this and many other sites. Been a plastic model builder for years and just spent a few bucks on some old space and missile kits this year. I have been a Real Space fan all my life and I just love this Model on John’s site. So here it is, just finished this one for the competition. The F-1 engine from the Saturn-V. It is as printed and the only thing I did was Edge prep and clear coat all the parts. Hope I did a good job. God Bless and good luck to everyone.

The link to the site is:

Attached Files:

14. eagleone

eagleone Member

Help with picture

Tried to upload a picture for the competition but I got an error saying the size of the image is bigger then the forum will alowed. Can someone help me so I can get my entry posted??
  15. ekuth

ekuth Active Member

Open up the .jpg with MSPaint and go to Image: Stretch/Skew. Under Horizontal/Vertical resize it to about 25 to 50% and then save it. That should getcha going! :)
  16. yaniv

yaniv Active Member

if u still cant upload the pic please send it to my e mail and i will do it for u

all the models as bin upload to the contest web page :)
  17. dwgannon

dwgannon Member

Outstanding Job. I love this engine. I alos like the fact that you spent extra time on the clear coat. Way to go!!!! :)
  18. rlwhitt

rlwhitt Active Member

Excellent looking F-1 Cardstalker! I hope to build the set someday, and hope they look near as good as yours

19. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

My oh my!! The weekend is here.

Every model here are great. And are also the builders.

Judges, you have a huge work to do here.

Best of lucks to all, and Happy New Year.
  20. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Free Pilatus PC-6 Porter HB-FAN "Yeti" Model

Hi all card modelling contestants,

Here is my entry to the FREE model competition.
    It´s one of my favouite card models and one that I built very early when I 're-discovered' card modelling, in the beginning of 2006:

It is Schreiber-Bogen´s free card model version of the very first Pilatus Porter PC-6 STOL (Short Take-Off and Landing) airplane.
    It was built in 1959 and this particular plane, with the registration designation "HB-FAN" has a special story:

It was used during the Swiss Himalayan Expedition to Mount Dhaulagiri (8.167 meters) in 1960, to support the expedition with supplies up to the advanced base camp. The plane followed a long route to get to the high Himalayas:
    from the starting point in Zürich, Switzerland - Florence, Italy - Rome - Brindisi - Athens, Greece - Rhodos - Nicosia - Damascus - Bagdad, Iraq - Abadan - Buschir - Dschask - Jiwani - Karachi, Pakistan - Ahmedabad - New Delhi, India - Kathmandu, Nepal - Pokhara - and finally, to the Dhaulagiri Base Camp.
    In the later stages of the expedition, however, it was badly damaged in a landing accident in the Dambusch pass (the main wing, propellor, and engine). It couldn´t be flown out and it is still there today, resting high in the windy col at 5.200 meters in the Dhaulagiri Himal, awaiting rescue.

The "Porter Vintage Association", founded in 1998, have plans to bring the "Yeti" back to Switzerland and restore it to the original, flying condition for a museum exhibition. The main problem, however, is funding and the Porter Vintage Association currently relies on private contributions, such as membership fees, and donations.
    This web page is unfortunately only available in German but there are some interesting pictures:

Here is another page with pictures of this amazing plane, which long held the altitude record for a plane of it´s size (pictures from the actual 1960 Swiss Dhaulagiri-Himalayan expedition):

The active link for this free little card model beauty is: - click "Download", in the left hand margin. It´s the second model from the top. It is very easy to build (the fit of the parts is extraordinarily good, as are all Schreiber-Bogen models), yet the result is very nice, especially if you take the trouble of colouring the edges and joints. The yellow colour is a bit green but this can easily be corrected towards a warmer yellow hue. I have built this model in the original scale but I also plan to build an enlarged model, with cut-out windows and wings with airfoil.

Because this is one of my all-time favourite modelling objects, I couldn´t resit buying the slightly larger 1:50 scale card model from Schreiber-Bogen, which is more detailed with skis and a full fuselage interior. It can be found under the same link as the one above, under "catalogue" and "Aeroplanes" - it´s one of the last models at the bottom of the page (Pilatus PC-6 "Porter").

Here is another, slightly larger model of the same plane, made out of balsa, spruce and plywood:

I highly recommend building this fine little card model.

Best regards and may the best man win,
    Bengt :-D

Attached Files:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.