[Free model #4] Jawa Sandcrawler

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Aug 3, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

No excuses now! I got to build 8 detailed sets of sherman tracks, added outer layers, grousers, drive sprockets and 2 sets of suspension...each with 4 wheels....

Then I can build the 'boxes' they sit in, and some attachments to hold them to central blocks.

SEBRET Member

eesh!!! glad your doing this and not me, lol. Seriously though, i cant wait to see your completed model.
  3. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK..after a short 'work induced' break from modelling, I have begunn construction of hte first of 8 track pods. Copying the actual studio model, I have made some simple HVSS Sherman style suspension units, and begun rough assembly. A lot of this will be hard to see on the finished model .. but I will know it is there!

With the outer cover on, the thing looks like:

Which just leaves me the toother sprocket to build....

Then, all I have to do is finish up the external detailing on the parts.... and build another 7 more just like it.....Oh..yes...and 8 sets of tracks...
  4. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

I do NOT envy you that task. :wink:
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Track unit 1 completed, and I am quite pleased with the result. True to the original, the thing is Sherman bits inside, but I have simplified the tracks a little. They are a single set, rather than the Sherman tracks with an extra layer glued to the outside.

With track in place, the finished unit looks like this:

Attachment points have been added to the inside where it will join to the blocks that attach to the hull. Cutting out the 4 little holes in the outer track at every link was a chore...but it looks better like that than if I left them flat.

Quite pleased with how that turned out...so now I can sit back and ..er...make 7 more of these!
  6. shiftdel

shiftdel Member

Looks great!!!

These are happy days for us paper modellers, tons of cool stuff being created!!
  7. Kjev

Kjev Member

Flare, I have to admit I've never seen anyone take an art form and raise it to a higher art form. I will gladly trade my existing model in for yours when it's finished.

8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...that took a while! The track units are finally finished and in place.

A lot of the detail work is hidden to the casual observer...but I know it is in there! Each track unit has 2 full HVSS units plus drive sprocket and idler wheel. The cutouts in the units are cut outs, and the whole thing looks pretty good to my tired eyes!

Now I can turn my attention to the basic hull, and the detail plating I intend to lay on top of it. The only areas where I have lots of work to do here will be the engine bay. I will be detailing this out to a reasonable degree.

Nearly there...just need to adjust a few wheels for neatness and evenness. Then the tracks can go on.

With all the pods built, a last check for fit and I can design the supports for the pods. Have to make sure they fit in the space right!

Hooray! Job done.....and it sits nice and level, even though the camera seems to make it look bent in the middle!

I think I must have been mad to do this......
  9. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Very cool.
  10. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

whoa..... so, how many x-acto blades did you burn through making those track assemblies? : )

Good, consistent work.

Keep forging ahead!
  11. Robot Exodus

Robot Exodus Member

That looks amazingly detailed! I wish one day I could build models as detailed as these...

Did you make the treads/tracks removable so that you can look at the gears and other details inside?
  12. SEBRET

SEBRET Member

Holy. . . .wow. This just made my day, lol
  13. Boba Frett

Boba Frett Member

The build is coming along great :thumb:
  14. Kjev

Kjev Member

Jeez, Flare! I've seen styrene models with less detail than that. When you get it done, you really ought to submit it to the gallery on Starshipmodeler.com.
  15. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

How big is this model? From the pics, it looks rather large, bu I cannot tell for sure.
  16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Size wise, it's about 7" long. I roughly ( but not quite ) doubled the size of the original small model I based this off. There was no way I could add detail to the model the size it was...so I upscaled.

Sadly..the tracks are not removable...but if you peer through the gaps in the track units you can see the wheels...though you do need to shine a light in! Also...when you look at the thing from side on, you can tell there are wheels underneath, not just a solid block with the track wrapped round, and that was the aim here. It was a lot of work, but then this is a competition to detail up a model!
  17. zealousy

zealousy Member

WOW!!! Superb!
  18. sneaker

sneaker Member

Oh Man! That is excellent! You went a lot farther with the details, than I thought you would. Very nice job! :thumb: Definitely an exercise in patience. wall1