[Free model #4] Jawa Sandcrawler

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by FlareBaffled, Aug 3, 2008.

1. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

The model is the one from here: http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~sf-papercraft/Gallery/Sand/sand.html

But by the time I am finished, it hopefully will look a little more detailed! Proper wheel and track assemblies are planned, along with increased detail on top and sides.

I chose it because I love the look of it, and I think it will look great on my desk when it is done whether I win a prize or not!!!!!

I also plan to save all the bits I add, so if anyone else wants to build it afterwards, they can. So...I guess it's time to get printing :)
  2. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Stage 1 is to scale up a fraction. This is a really small model and needs a bit more size to bring it alive. Much research and sketching whilst watching the movie on the I-Pod. I have enough detail now to start work on the tracks units. Plan a fair bit of additional detail there ...and have just got to get to grips with the actual scale I have.

In order to build the detail, I will be using my usual 3D mesh and Pepakura appraoch. I need to synchronise that with the scale of the actual PDF files ...so a bit of trial and error is coming before actual building can comence!
  3. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

This was the 5th or 6th paper model that I ever built and despite it's simplicity is still one of my favorites. Can't wait to see your progress and especially the extra bits.
  4. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Construction is underway, and rather than build it in the order the instructions say, I am starting with the underneath! First job was to sort out hte scale. I wanted to re-scale the model to make it slightly larger, and to allow me the scope to make the tracks and treads look good. This is a signature thing on the crawler, and I wanted it to be good.

With the baseplate at the size I wanted, the rest can be scaled to match that. Each part was transferred from the PDF file one at a time and re-scaled. The textures were touched up in a few places where they had got 'blocky'. Extra raised details were added along the edges of the plate. The first few are shown above.

Next up is the central block where the hatches are.
    The edge detail is nearly done, but an extra layer will go on the doors if I can cut it small enough!
    An extra layer was added to the ends, which was recessed to take a patch of greebling. This will be fleshed out with some more 3d tubes and layers.
    Once this is fixed, I am adding some ribs to mould it in with the hull bottom and then I need to add the 'tube' that links the droid store with the outside world. I am also adding some layered detail in between the track units linking them with the central area. All this is being done by feel, since there are no actual references for this. I did not want to leave it just flat brown....so I have created some texture there!

More to follow.
  5. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Right...made some more progress and the underside is just about done.

A small quantity of pipework has been modelled in the ends of the central block, and some detail parts have been placed to link this with the areas where the tracks will be supported:

The detail work has also been finsihed on the hatch doors, and the oversized vacuum cleaner attachment has been modelled for droid loading! I have built up a few layers on teh underside to give it a nice 'tech' feel, which I fear may be largely hidden when the tracks go on. I don't care...because I will know it's there!

I have also tried to blend the block a little with the hull using a few triangular braces front and rear. I felt they improved the look. Last pic for today shows the sections viewed from where they would normally be seen....alongside!

Pictures are not of hte highest quality, but they give a good idea of how the finished vehicle will look.
  6. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

:-o Excuse me while I wipe the drool off my chin.

Edit - What are you edge coloring with if I may ask?
  7. sneaker

sneaker Member

:thumb: WOW! your build looks excellent FlareBaffled. I started to compare your pics to my build (almost the first paper model I ever built) and realized that a lot of detail is missing. I am going to have to dust off a few of my reference books and take a closer look at this. Perhaps I will revisit this after you have completed it and make the "bits" available................thanks
  8. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

For edge colouring, I have some nice soft artist pencils in a selection of reddish browns and ocres. Perfect tones for this build! Black edging is done with my trusty black marker pen!

Since the basic kit is in PDF format, I have had to work with what I have...so the end result will be a PDF file too. The bits are all moved out onto bitmaps to modify and add to...then migrated back to a PDF for printing. It will be a bit more of a challenge to build than the original, with some layering up on thicker card, some thinner.

When I am done, I think a small tray with sand in will feature for display :thumb:
  9. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

My kids will go bonkers over this one. Great work! I'll keep tabs on this one.
  10. Elliott

Elliott Senior Member

I KNEW this would happen some day! :curse: I bought a set of Star Wars blueprints shortly after the first movie (1977 or so). Of course I don't have them anymore, too many moves in the military or something. They included plans of the Sandcrawler. Knew it would happen......sorry......KNEW it would happen......grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr......wall1wall1wall1
  11. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

All you hae to do is retrace your steps for the last .... er ....31years and I am sure they will turn up!
  12. Mifune73

Mifune73 Member

They're still out there. Go to abebooks.com. They had a listing starting at around $15. I also checked the new ultimate collection coming out, but the sandcrawler isn't included.
  13. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

OK...might need some help here!

The tracks. Made some lovely tracks...great. Then I came to look at the track units themselves. I can't come up with a design that seems to work AND look like they do in the film. The problem is the wheels. The external 'rings' clearly mark where the wheels should go..but they are not visible externally. This goes against the grain when it comes to clearance etc. The wheels would have to overlap...so perhaps they do...

Anyone got a cutaway or schematic that shows how the wheels and suspension should go underneath ???

I could fudge it .... but I really don't want to!
  14. voltron5

voltron5 Member

Hey Flarebaffled, lovin the build so far. I found these images here(one is of a Lego toy but I thought it was a pretty good view), hopefully you can glean something from them and I also found a link with some pretty decent images and links. I hope this helps.:thumb:

15. sneaker

sneaker Member

I have some Pics of the studio model from various books I have, with some good views of the track suspension. I will email them to you if you would like.
    let me know.
  16. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks Sneaker ... anything you have that shows a close up of the track units would be great! I am OK on references for most of the build and that is the key area I am missing. That and the engines at the back.

Voltron...thanks for the pics. The top one I already have ( it's taken from the Star Wars cutaway book ) and as you can see...the area I really need is just ignored! They show the exterior of hte track, but do not give a clue as to the wheel arrangements underneath!

I am inclinde to think now, from extensive reading of my WW1 and 2 refrences, that the round 'disks' visible on the outside cannot represent axle positions, but must be mounts for the suspension. It's the only way it can work. Even that is not quite right...as the wheels would have to be mounted at an angle from the vertical to get any kind of suspension. It has elements of primitive beam suspension units used on early French tanks....but again, isn't quite right!

I get the distince impression that the modelmake in the original just ran the tracks round on the outside of a solid box. The studio model, as far as I can tell, wasn't fully functional....and all the closeups were just a filmset. I suspect I am going to have to take the same approach, even though I don't want to!
  17. sneaker

sneaker Member

ok here is what I have so far, may not help a lot, but I think it will at least a bit. Also I read that the treads and such were from a Tamiya Model tank kit that had metal treads. I know they used a lot of panther and sherman tank kits, but I do not know what tank was used for the sandcrawler. Maybe someone who knows tanks can take a close look and identify the parts used. That way you can take a look at the kit itself, depending how far and accurate you want to get. :thumb: I am trying to find my blueprints, but I believe them to be in storage.

Attached Files:

18. FlareBaffled

FlareBaffled Member

Thanks Sneaker ...those pictures are really spot on. If I can find out what tank parts they used, then that would be great. I have a whole load of 1:35 tank models and much reference for WW2 armour...so that would be nice.

update.... just found this:

and there is a whole load more on this page : http://www.originalprop.com/blog/?p=4011

Now...for the tank anoraks amongst us, the underlying parts are clear as day. The suspension and tracks used here are from a late model Sherman with the HVSS ( Horizontal Volute Suspension System ) introduced in 1943 along with the wider T80 type track. The drive sprocket is stock Sherman. On the outside of the stock track they have glued a flat piece to bring the track to the required width.

In effect, I will need to make 2 sets of track. One Sherman one, complete with guide teeth....and a set of outer plates glued to the back of it. This is doubly nice, because I can build simple versions of the HVSS units and put them between the flat plates. Then I know this is exactly how the studio model was made ... even if it bears no resemblance to the big 'rings' stuck on the outside.
  19. Millenniumfalsehood

Millenniumfalsehood Active Member

In the book "Sculpting a Galaxy" Lorne Peterson mentions that he used a Tamiya tank that had real metal treads because the model was motorized. Looking at the model it appears he maybe used Panthers for them, because there are other Panther parts on that model(I see at least four turret hatches, one hatch cover, six machine guns, and probably eight spare tracks that are identical to my copy of Tamiya's 1:35 Panther G kit).
  20. sneaker

sneaker Member

According to the boys over at the RPF The tank used for the tracks were from a Tamiya Sherman (1/16 scale) kit. Here are some really good reference pictures from Forbidden Plastic website. They are from the Star Wars: Where Science meets Imagination tour.

lots of pics there.

here is the link to the RPF discussing what parts are used. Looks like the same source of photos...cool

Edit: I just looked through these photos, I think you will find what you are looking for......excellent :thumb: