Free Model #3

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Toddlea, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

As far as nothing and I are concerned, the matter's closed. I think we've sorted things out off post via email. :) Neither of us are taking part and there are no hard feelings.

Good luck to everyone who is taking part, I'm looking forward to seeing what happens and what gets entered. ;)

I'll have something pre prepared for the next one! :)
  2. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Thanks Mark, I'll PM Toddlea to see what he says ^^
  3. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

I have modified the contest rules to alleviate any misunderstanding. Please review and PM me with questions. I appologize if this has caused a rift in the forum.

On a lighter note, I will be adding more prizes to the pot real soon including more money and kits as well as 4th & 5th place prizes. Stay tuned............

How is everyone doing? Any more build threads? I am finishing up a kit for another forum contest. When it's finished I'll move full steam ahead with my entry.
  4. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

I hit a snag...well I spilled water (lesson learned) on about 6 parts...wall1

So I decided to do another simpler model to cool my heels, so to speak. I'll finish it this weekend, and try again next week....IT IS A GOOD THING WE HAVE UNTIL JUuuuuuNE! :thumb: I have tried the Ailene's tacky glue in the gold bottle...I love the stuff...spread it on thin, let it dry for just a sec or two, and it sticks almost immediately.

As a beginner, I have also learned the value of printing some parts on thinner/thicker paper...if you want to do more advanced kits, you had mind as well get used to it. It has made a huge difference, though, so I'm glad I did it...

EDIT: I was going to say something else and forgot. If you are a beginner, you have no excuse to not get help. The folks on this forum are extremely helpful, but don't ask for help until you have searched properly. I have answered all my questions so far from just doing searches, and found some great tips in the process.
  5. Soaring

Soaring Middle School Student

Hazel Gundam: I'll do Hazel Gundam ^^
    Participant: Soaring
    Link: papercraft Scroll down
  6. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Transformers Bumblebee

Here's my thread :

I'm designing this model during the contest, so you'll have the download link when I finish it.
  7. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

That's what I'm talking about. Go for it Claudio!
  8. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

9. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Here's my entry. Digital Navy's 1:700 Dreadnought.

It's quite a simple kit, so I'm going to enhance it with a bit of layering to improve the depth of the detail on the bulkheads, and replace the gun barrels with wire.

Like Lex says, I haven't a chance of winning, there are lots of people out there far better than me, but it's such a great sompetition I gotta be in it :)

Edit : Here is a link to the build thread
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

To me that Dreadnought is NOT a "simple" kit :D Way to go with modifications, I'd like to see how this one comes out!! ;)
  11. tazman3

Well...I guess I will probably not finish the competition. I have to build that alex gundam by rob. I know it won't qualify, but I just have to build it. So that will not leave me time to complete the other probably...but we'll see. Build thread to follow...good luck everyone!
  12. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Come on Tazman - You can't quit now:cry:
    You can do two builds at the same time - I know you can:thumb:
  13. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Don't give up. You have 130 days to go!
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

I don't see any deadlines for entries. Am I right?

If so... I am IN.
  15. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

If you can post entry, do a build report and submit final pictures in one day, you can post a new entry on June 29th. Sounds a bit silly though.
  16. tazman3

LOL...well, if I git-r-done, then I'll git-r-done! sign1

By the way, Larry the Cable Guy is now a spokesperson for Nutrisystem...the ad is really funny. He looks better though!:eek:
  17. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Hi Toddlea

Quick question about allowable modifications. Layering is permitted, and I'm going to layer some doors, etc. to give a bit more depth. However, can I layer on some cotton over a printed ladder to give it a bit more depth ? (which is going to come under the heading of extremely fiddly at 1:700 scale ;) )
    Just wanted to check before anybody cries FOUL !!
  18. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Sounds OK. Wouldn't just laminated paper be easier at that scale? Just a thought. Looks great by the way.
  19. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

It probably would be easier to use paper, but I don't think it would give as good an effect. I have a cunning plan which I'll explain on the build thread. Of course, it may just end up in a glue'y mess, in which case I'll describe it for the entertainment value !
  20. CardStalker

CardStalker Member

Hello all, here is my entry for the Free Model #3 competition. It is the Hubble Space Telescope for advanced builders. It is designed by none other then the great designer Sir Ton Noteboom. The model can be found here: HubbleSite - Hand-held Hubble - Paper Model, expert
    There are 16 pages total, 4 for the interior and 12 for the exterior. I will be building this slowly, with step by step process for all to see.
    Build Thread found here:
    Hope it turns out well.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.