Free Model #3

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Toddlea, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metoo

metoo Member

I may be crazy, but I would like to join in the fun too. I am just a beginner, but figure everyone was at some time a beginner too.

I am going to build the bald eagle from:
    Canon 3D Papercraft

I was going to attach a pic but I seem to be doing something wrong. This is my first time posting to the forum, so maybe there is a restriction.
  2. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

Welcome to the Forum and competition metoo. That's a great looking model and probably quite tough. Living subjects are never easy to get realistic. Good luck with it.
  3. metoo

metoo Member

Thank you Mark.
    I knew as soon as I saw it I was going to make the eagle. I just needed this contest to give me a little boost. I hope it is not too hard, as I said I am just a beginner. I have made some of their dog papermodels and they turned out alright even the ones I reduced to 25%.
    I almost didn't sign up because I feel completely out of my league with all the experience builders here. Then I thought what the heck, It'll be fun and I will learn from all their build threads.
    Sorry, I forgot to sign my last post.
  4. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Kathie? A girl modeler?! Obsurd!!

Just kidding. ;) Nice to see. Welcome to the forum and comp. This is my first comp too. Don't be put off by experienced modellers, we were all new to this at one time.
  5. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

Don't worry about your experience level. I'm sure you'll do just fine.
    I really like the American Eagle that you chose, Look forward to following your build.

6. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Welcome Kathie! It's nice to have some feminine energy around here.
  7. tazman3

tazman3 Model Designer Wannabe

Welcome kathie...I too am building my first really complicated I know how you feel! :thumb:
  8. metoo

metoo Member

9. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

Well after a lot going around and around on which model to build, I think I decided on one. Digital Navy's Lilla Weneda. I have wanted to build it since Roman offered it for free a while back. I was really attracted to the green hull. You can download it here. My build thread is here.

Attached Files:

10. tazman3

That ship looks awesome, I'm not really into watercraft, but I like that one. Let me say something...I'm really encouraged to see some newbies, like myself, in this contest. I know WHY plastics modelers say it, but with paper modelers it seems say that you are saving a kit to build when your skill is there...if you have a data copy...just print it again! :twisted:

Don't deny yourself the joy of giving it a try with no pressure...if you mess it up...just hit PRINT! :thumb:
  11. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

I agree there is a stress level that disappears when you do a digital kit. I also enjoy the freedom of recoloring and fixing parts. Sometimes I'll print the kit on several weights of paper so I can easily build very small parts without fighting the heavy stock. (Something you can't do with most published kits)

If I haven't said it before, let me restate. All skill levels are not only welcome here, they are encouraged. Please build any kit you feel comfortable with, no matter what skill level you feel you have. Some modelers who post here have been building kits for 20 plus years. Personally I wanted to do a kit that would challenge me. There are hundreds of simple kits on the internet, that with a little care, could easily win this contest. My intention for this competition is to grow the forum, create new friends around the world and possibly introduce an old hobby to a new group of friends.
  12. mpakier

mpakier Member

13. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Wow, this contest is getting better and better every day! There are already going to be some neat prizes from the contestants themselves. Win or lose, I'm already glad I'm running the race.

14. Gyzmo

Gyzmo New Member

Hey, this looks like fun - just the thing for a newbie like myself to join in on! :cool: I'd like one point of clarification, if possible, please: can you build ANY free model, from any genre/movie/show/nightmare that you find floating out there on the net, so long as it has a viable link and is legit? Or are we limited to, say, vehicles only? (I ask 'cause most people seem to be doing ships, cars, etc).

Just double-checking before I start my build!
  15. tazman3

I'm doing a ' you should be good. I think they are pretty strict about it having a viable link though...:thumb:
  16. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I don't see anything in the rules that limit what type of model you build as long as it has a valad link. I think that unusual subject matter is a good thing - It can get more people involved - The more people that get involved the better - we can all learn from each other.
    I'm anexious to see what you have up your sleeve.
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

18. Toddlea

Toddlea Member

There is no limit to subject matter in this contest. If it is made of paper, it's in.
  19. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

My entry will be the Transformers' Bumblebee (2008 Camaro robot mode).

Skip and me are still designing it, so I'll open a thread with design and build process.

I'll publish a link to it when it's done (before June 30th) and it will be free - of course:mrgreen:
  20. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

LOL. Taz doing a mech, Claudio entering Bumblebee, I'm doing a Gundam. IT'S THE RISE OF THE MACHINES!! :)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.