Free Model #3

Discussion in 'Competitions' started by Toddlea, Dec 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

need to add sjsquirel to th list. thats a great idea lex getting em all together for easier viewing. thank you.
  2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

So far all the models that have been 40-100% complete are amazing. Too bad that many build threads are voiding the stated rules of building the free model as indicated by the instructions and having the final look different from it's intended piece.

3. jparenti

jparenti Member

I thought this was all I needed to put in. Is there anything else I need to do?
  4. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Can you list the models in particular that you feel are breaking these rules?

If the directions say that you can use transparency to replace cardstock for some parts that should be enough....right?

What are the models that are in deficit of the rules, perhaps they can be fixed, or redone, if there are some inconsistancies?
  5. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

Yes, please let us know which ones are being done wrong.
  6. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

uuuuuhh oh....

Have I wandered from the straight and narrow?

I've been laminating pieces from the original parts sheets to increase the depth of the artwork.

And I cut out the doors and glued them back in again for a realistic gap.

Oh dear.... well, if the ax falls. I'll still finish the little thing anyway. It's still fun. : )

7. David H

David H Member

It would be a terrible terrible thing for someone to use common sense and and a bit of initiative when building a free model.

I for one go through life with my brain in neutral awaiting fresh instructions for the big voice.

I mean all those drivers of machines with opaque windows must find it reassuring to pilot their vehicles oblivious to outside conditions!

8. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

I would suggest this is taken up with Toddlea and the entrant(s) in question by PM. As it's Toddlea's competition he should have the final say. I don't think that there is anything to be gained by a public debate.
  9. CK Styles

CK Styles Senior Member

Wish I had the time to enter this comp!! I will get on board with the next one! There is some really great diversity in the entrants so this should be fun to follow!! Great thread, by the way, Lex.
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Ahem, now, everyone, PM's aren't there for nothing, use them if there is something unsuitable for the forums. Sit down, have a cup of tea, and when you come back everything would be fine. :D

Oh sorry jparenti... No that's absolutely fine!

Oops I can't seem to locate the thread... Please help :oops:
  11. KCStephens

KCStephens Member

I was wondering how long it would take before someone would bring this up...:mrgreen:

You are correct...
    I admidt it...
    (Boy, do I feel better now that it's off my chest!)

I'm gulty of adding parts to the Panzer that were not part of the origional downloaded file. However, I plan to release these additional parts on a separate sheet, free to anyone who would like to use them before the contest deadline. Afterall, the rules state that..."If an extra piece is added then it must be available as download by the end of the contest."

If time runs out and I don't have time to compleate this sheet, I will happily withdraw from the contest. No hard feelings

So far, the only additional parts that I actually created on my own were; the details on the bottom of the hull, 4 little parts for each bumperstop, a few gussets here and there (6 on the drive gears alone) and a new hub and spoke design for the idler rollers. All of the other modifications were made from multiple copies of the origional file. Take the road wheels for example...All of the parts there are from the origional kit - nothing new. The only thing is... Is that I had to print out four or five sheets to yeild enough parts to achieve the look that I was going for.

As I progress thru the rest of this build, I will make sure that each new part is accounted for and made available on a separate parts sheet.

So, enough said...Time to get back to work.

Good luck everyone!

12. jparenti

jparenti Member

Thanks, Lex. I was afraid I did something wrong. :)
    My model is finished now.
    A major undertaking but I'm happy with the results, even without winning anything. Good luck to everyone else! I can already see many great models being worked on for this competition.
  13. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

sorry it was a thread from competition #2 that had resurfaced. I thought it was new. im sorry for the confusion.[​IMG]
  14. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

This is rather amusing now.

Just have the free model competition by removing the ... 'build exactly the way the instructions state' rules and just leave the Free Model and Link to free download rule.

I love how people get offended when the obvious is stated... Love it. All despite the fact that the builds are great and the many of participants.

I'll answer the question before it is asked, I am not in the competition because I either recolor, add extra detail or have already built what I have without progress pictures. If I could post pictures of a couple of builds I would... like Nobi's T55 and Cromwell recolors and extra details. I never asked permission and so I won't post pictures. C'est la vie.

I'm all for 'do it your own way', which is why I like so many of the builds here when they stray from the instructions in favor of extra detail.
  15. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Yeah I see what you mean. Guess the next marathon we have in the city, I'll grab a cab at the next corner and get out a block before the finish line. Oh wait, they have rules against that. :twisted:
  16. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

I don't think anyone's wragging on you, I sure wasn't it was just a matter of clarification. If you felt that someone was breaking the rules, that's fine. I'm all for keeping things legit. Many were just curious.

I was curious because I wasn't sure about the transparent grill that come with the model, even though it is stated in the directions. Ii wasn't quite sure how pure people wanted this to be.

I guess the reason for these competitions in the first place is for everyone to have fun, so I don't think it's a big deal.

Sorry if I ruffled your feathers. Not intended.

Keep on Trekkin!:thumb:
  17. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

No rufflage ... it's just my observation.

I do like the builds. I encourage alternate builds... (oh god I refuse to use the term 'outside the box').

To shout out names would not be a good thing because thats when the ruffling of plumage begins and where the excrement strikes the rotating cooling device.

I'm getting the feeling that someone should create one of those funny pictures of someone pointing with the caption 'HERESY!' and include it in a quote of nearly everything I post. :eek:
  18. Peter the Ingrate

Peter the Ingrate New Member

I wonder if people troll because they have an inferiority complex or whether they do it because they are inferior.
  19. logicman

logicman Greybeard

Some people troll because they just love fishing from boats.

Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day.
    Give a man a fishing rod and
    he'll bitch about the poor quality of the monofilament.

[/end hijack]
  20. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.