Free Model #3 - Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei "Judy" from Inwald Card Model

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by DavidESP, May 20, 2008.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all.

Time for another update.

I finished the other leg of the landing gear, here's a shot of them mounted:

Shot of the wheel well doors, one glued together and the other in pieces. After gluing, the bottom part of the door is cut off:

Here are the wheels sanded and ready for paint:

Now a couple shots of the wheels in place:

And the wheel well doors mounted:

Tomorrow I'll finish up the aft machine gun and get started on the canopies.

Have a good one.
  2. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, didn't do much yesterday, plugged away at the aft machine gun and cut out a few pieces for the canopy (round 1). Today I cut out a few more pieces for the canopy (round 2). This is my first aircraft canopy, I've built 2 other aircraft (CardPlanes WZ-X and the Bartel BM-6, neither of which has a canopy). I didn't have the paper for the recommended method which prints the parts for the frames on full page labels (only ones I could find here were 12€ for a box of 100 which I will never use), so I used Krazy Glue Brush on to attach the transparency to the paper. The first round was some stains and bending problems, second round I got most on them and what's left is the front section. I'll finish that up tomorrow.

Here's some shots of the machine gun:
    The parts, together and installed:

I got so tied up on the canopy, I forgot to take assembly pictures. The first on is the frames and plastic partially cut out:

These are the 3 middle sections in place:

Finally the rear section in place:

Like I said, I'm pretty much canopied out for today. I'll finish up tomorrow with the front section and the pilots bomb sight.

Have a good one.
  3. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

looks excellent david:thumb:--just a idea i used the clear transparancy from envelopes with windows (bt,sky bill letters)for canopys hope this helps out :thumb:
  4. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello all, finally got the front part of the canopy done. Thanks to col. kurtz for the recommendation, it was just what the doctor ordered. The plastic is thiner and more flexible, so it formed better.

Here's a couple of shots:

Finished up the antenna and pilots bomb sight as well, so here's some preliminary shots of the finished model. Tomorrow I'll take some better ones outside in good light and declare it finished:

Until tomorrow.
  5. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

Wow, this is just an absolutely first class, fantastic model and build. A great example of just how good a paper model can look! Congratulations on an excellent build! I look forward to more photos of the finished model!
  6. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

no problem david glad that the tip helped:thumb:looking really goood mate :thumb:
  7. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

As promised, some pictures taken in good light:

Here are some more:

I really liked this model but overall I can only give the kit 8 out of 10. The model itself is rates a 10, but the instructions only get a 5 or 6. Some areas are good and other sections, nonexistent. I would recommend this model to modelers with some experience, it's not for a first timer.

I hope everybody has enjoyed this build thread. As a few that are here that I know from other sites can tell you, I don't stay idle for long. I'm getting started on another project as I write this, and you'll find it in Ship's and Watercraft later on or tomorrow.

Have a good one.
  8. dansls1

dansls1 Member

Looks great - very nice model!
  9. col. kurtz

col. kurtz Member

excellent build david:thumb:good luck in the competition :thumb:
  10. exzealot

exzealot Member

This turned out great!

Nice job.

11. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Looks amazing!! Combined with the weathered effect, the last pic fooled me for the real thing at first!
  12. atamjeet

atamjeet Member

Amazing one... I am in the process of making this one. I have used Glossy paper though... Your built pics have solved one problem of mine, I don't understand the language in which the instructions are written... I have completed the engine and the cockpit section so far. Wings and the landing gear are yet to be started....
    I must say you have really done a very good job here.... Please view my profile to see all my models I have made so far.
  13. mor54

mor54 Member

Hi David

Thanks for posting this model, looks as a very nice model. I have a Maly 1993 un-build model of the D4Y3 with a radial engine. Sorry to say that this belong to a time when Maly models had a disaster camouflage and printing. Also the cockpit was very basic.

Downloaded the free model, and put it high in my to do list.

Thanks again,

Shalom Mor
  14. 4ps

4ps New Member

What a elaborate aircraft!

The curves are so smooth!
  15. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks to all and to the forum for selecting this as a picture of the week.

Good Day
  16. DaGreat

DaGreat New Member

thx for sharing this model..i'm still a newbie in paper crafts..hope i can learn more in this forum!!
  17. storch

storch Guest

What a great build! Congrats!