Free Model #3 - Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei "Judy" from Inwald Card Model

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by DavidESP, May 20, 2008.

1. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

I haven't posted here in a while and when saw the Free Model Contest the other day, I decided to enter.

I am entering with Inwald Card Models Yokosuka D4Y2 Suisei (Judy) in 1:33 scale. It is freely available from Fanaty Kartonu part of the Konradus Forum. The link is near the bottom of the page. The is also a version converted to 1:16 scale by Lief Ohlsson on Kartonbau. The instructions in english can be found there.

To start the model comes in a RAR file which contains 15 one page PDFs of instructions and 13 PDFs of parts. The parts sheets are divided up into the types of paper you should use. Here's some pictures of the pages:

The rudder, elevator, ailerons and flaps are all movable. There is also the option of building the model with the bomb bay doors open or closed. I have decided to build the doors open.

Here are some pictures of the first parts cutout for the cockpit assembly:

The bulkheads and floors are glued to 0.85 mm cardboard.

Until the next update.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Judy!!! I knew someone would enter this model!! I absolutely love this aircraft! Look forward to the build!!
  3. redhorse

redhorse Member

I too am really interested in this build! And thanks for the links.
  4. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Continuing with the cockpit, here are some parts that go in the bombardier's section of the cockpit:

And a couple of shots of them mounted:

These are the parts for the pilots seat:

Here's the seat assembled, I know it looks weird, two tier and all, after some reading up on cockpits, it's so the pilot can sit higher to see while taxiing the plane:

Here´s the seat in place with the flap control and seat brackets:

The seat color looks a little off, didn't get the mix right. Will keep trying.

Until the next update.
  5. Javito10

Javito10 New Member

Great model David, one of the best free models i ever seen.
    I will follow closely the progress of this model.:thumb:
  6. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hello everybody.

These are the pieces for the forward section of the cockpit:

this how they came together. The joystick was formed by wrapping the paper piece around a piece of 0.75mm wire and bending to match the instructions:

Next up are the pieces for the bombardier's section of the cockpit. The oxygen bottles are formed by rolling the long strips. One of the great things about this model, is that most of the pieces that roll up are located on the pages printed on normal 80gm paper:

These last two pictures for now are the bomb site:

Later I'll have a further update on the rest of the cockpit.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Awesome and detailed build!! Keep going!!
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Good afternoon to everyone, well it's late afternoon here. Here's a little more of the cockpit done.

These are the parts for the bombardier's machine gun and seat mount:

Here it is together ready to mount:

Heres the majority of the parts for the cockpit in place:

This is the pilots control panel. I double printed the panel front, cut out the gauge faces and put a piece of clear cellophane between the two pieces:

That's about it for now, tomorrow morning I'll do another update.
  9. cjwalas

cjwalas Member

This is coming along beautifully. This model is on my to do list and it's great to see your efforts here. It looks like the model goes together very well? The fit looks great; did you have to do a lot of fitting?
  10. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hey Chris, thanks. So far, not much to do for fitting, but is does seem that everything fits together well so far. The instructions both original and the english ones are a little tough to follow, but they use a fairly standard order.
  11. lriera

lriera Member

Congratulations, David, for a so well choosen and build model. I like it very much your build and the model.

Ah, and pleased to meet you at Zealot. :thumb:

12. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hey all and thanks for the comments.

this mornings update, starts with a part design. In the pictures you can see that there are no seatbelts, I wanted the model to look real, and after looking around, I found that the Japanese used a 3 pt system similar to whats in vehicles today. I uploaded a PDF, it's still in moderation, but it´s here, Yokosuka D4Y2 Seatbelts .

Here's a shot of the printout:

And here's what they look like installed. The forward bulkhead and instrument panel are not attached permanently yet:

This is the first fuselage parts cutout:

Hopefully I'll get another update in this afternoon.
  13. exzealot

exzealot Member

Looking great! This has to be one of the best free paper models on the net! You are doing it great justice!

Thanks for sharing the build!

14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I like those edge colourings! Keep going david!!
  15. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Ken and Lex, thanks for the comments. Ken, the model is great, but the instructions a little ambiguous. This is only my 3rd aircraft, and sometimes it's confusing as you will see further down in this post. Lex, I use mostly crafter's acrylics mixed to the tone I need for edge coloring.

The last picture I posted was the parts cutout for the first section of fuselage, well by not thoroughly reading and understanding the instructions, turns out your not supposed to assemble the full cockpit interior, but leave it in sections, so I had to disassemble the front deck and wing support and remove some of the parts from the bombardier's area. New cutter blades and no damage done.
    Here's the first fuselage section rolled with the interior parts attached:

Now with the cockpit assembly inserted:

Cutout the parts for the next section of the fuselage:

That's it for today, tomorrow being Friday and all, may not get 2 updates in. Wife won't let me spend 5-6 hours a day with the models now that the weather is nice and we live almost on the beach.

Till the next one.
  16. grzechu pl

grzechu pl New Member

Nice cockpit, keep it up
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Yeah, David! The middle fuselage looks pretty good, my friend!! And that cockpit is really great.
  18. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Hey folks, got a bit more done, well a little more than a bit.

The first shot here is the rest of the after fuselage parts:

Now for an apology, I got so carried away bending, rolling and gluing, I forgot to take pictures as I went along. The result is, 3 shots of the fuselage together and the pilots instrument panel in place:

Tomorrow I'll continue with fuselage details. With the weather predicted for this weekend here, rain, I'll get lots done.

Until the next time.
  19. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Getting carried away is what cardmodels is all about!! ;) --I can't believe your seams are almost invisible!
  20. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Here's a few things I knocked out this morning.

The throttles and a small switch box built and mounted:

Spare machine gun magazines:

Parts for the tail wheel and mounted:

This afternoon, after the F1 qualifications, I'll be working on the bomb rack and bomb.

Until later.