Free Model #3 - White Knight by JM

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by Lex, Feb 14, 2008.

1. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

do you use scissors only? relooked at the build and just a fabulous build!!
  2. logicman

logicman Greybeard

your model is clean, square, accurate and finished.:thumb:

I'm jealous.wall1

Good luck in the competition.:thumb:

3. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks Nothing and Logicman ^^
    Yes... I think me and scalpel just doesn't mix... I only use a small knife to cut otherwise inaccessible holes below 2mm diameter. But I'm trying to get used to it as I think I'll need it on commercial kits... ;)
  4. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

You can't beat a scalpel and steel rule for a straight edge. I fine scissors better for curve though.
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Lex, is it possible if you can explain a little more how you did the wheels?

It is a very pretty aircraft! Too bad the JM site is dead (any problems with the neverending story of piracy?). Good I have mine from way back.
  6. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Nice job Lex, you set the standards high for me and the other's in the competition.

I like to use scissors for most of my cuts, although I use an OLFA cutter for some of the smaller cuts and the interior cuts.
  7. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Oh really?! I didn't realise your Judy was built with scissors too... (Shakes hands) :D Your build is going along nicely, keep it up!!
  8. DavidESP

DavidESP Member

Thanks Lex. Here's a shot of my favorite par of scissors:
    They have a real nice pointed tip, almost as sharp as a cutter.

The hole punch comes in real handy too.
  9. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks!! I never knew a handheld hole punch existed! I might have to try that one day... ;)
  10. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

Now that's a big DARN IT...
  11. Hans Christian

Hans Christian Active Member

That's the cleanest build of sir jan's kit that I ever saw... great job!!! :-D
  12. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I don't think Jan had a c*******t problem... I think it was something else that brought the site down... I'm emailing Jan to see what happened

Sorry didn't see that... I laminated the wheels on thick card, and then used a file to file the wheel to a round profile, I then used plastic glue to reinforce the edges, before colouring it with black marker, that's all!
  13. outersketcher

outersketcher Illustrator, Tinker

Wow, nice work Lex. Dangit... now I'm gonna have to build this one too. I have a suggestion for the weight problem.

Awhile back, I built an old-fashioned model robot I bought from the Lighthouse Model Art going out of business sale.. anyway, that robot also had balance problems. What I ended up doing was to inject some liquid epoxy resin into the base of the feet. The epoxy resin filled the lower cavities and settled that robot right down nice and solid. Epoxy resin is heavy stuff man. Course, this would only work on a model that has been sealed with clearcoat. Otherwise, I think the liquid epoxy might soak into the paper a bit and discolor it.
  14. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Thanks for the suggestion!! If I could get my hands on some epoxy then that's a great idea! --Meanwhile if that doesn't work I'll be forced to make another SpaceShipOne ;)
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Well, Lex, your method on the wheels are just the same as mine, thou your is cleaner!
  16. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I coated the wheels in superglue before the final filing, maybe that hardens the wheel's surface and makes the result a bit cleaner ;)
  17. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

18. Maico Shark

Maico Shark Guest

Beautiful work