Free model#3 Skips BumbleBee Camaro Concept.

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

paulhbell

I looks good, but it's a nightmare to use. Keeping it clean is the worst part, on the normal paper/card I use, the exess glue just soaks into the paper. With the glossy stuff the glue just sits there and if it isn't wiped off straight away, it a sod to remove.

Thebodymechanic

I really appreciate the pic, great angle. Could you possibly take another one from the other angle, so I can see where the other tabs are to be glued? I know other parts have to be glued to it and I just can't figure out exacly where the other tabs go. By the way, your build is looking really nice and your pictures come out very clear. I can't wait to get to where you're at. Another question what type of paper are you using, it really stands out and it may give it a different look once completed. metal, diecast look Keep us informed with your awesome pictures, it really helps with the builds.

Thanks again,
Jav:drag1:

P

paulhbell

I'm using glossy photo paper, as you can gather from my previous posts, it's a nightmare to keep clean.

I'll try and take a couple of better photos tomorrow, in daylight, I might get a better result. I have to use the flash at the moment and it just flashes back of the white paper.

P

paulhbell

Oops

Sorry for no updates. Got a new toy, see photo, and it's been good weather the last few days. So I had to try the new car out. Been all over the place.

I better get on with the build, not got long till the comp finishes. I have had another look around the other comp builds and I have to be honest with myself, I ain't going to win. Amazing builds are going on and some already finished.

Attachments

• media1a.jpg
    media1a.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 7

Master-Bruce

LOL! Open top fun! ;) Good for you buddy.

Hey it isn't about the winning right? Taking part and all. :D I still think the build is coming along greatly! I know I'm biased though. Hehe.

P

paulhbell

Thought it was time to spend a bit of time on model the car, instead of tinkering with my real car.

Nearly finished the passenger side of the car, just windows to glue on and a small bit to glue on the rear wheel arch. Also started putting the windscreen on. And rear end nearly finished, just exhaust pipes and number plate to put on. Take your time when making the rear end, the spoiler ends are a bit tricky. I rushed it a bit to much, all went together ok though.

I would not use glossy paper to build a card model again, it's a bloody nightmare to keep clean. I think I've said that before though.

Attachments

• DSCF0159.JPG
    DSCF0159.JPG
    127.8 KB · Views: 7
  • DSCF0160.JPG
    DSCF0160.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0161.JPG
    DSCF0161.JPG
    125 KB · Views: 6
P

paulhbell

Coming along faster now.

Bottom and drivers side of windscreen attached to car now, the passenger side windows and frame is nearly done and got I got the roof finished.

Still no issues with the car and it's starting to 'strengthen up' a bit now the parts are all joined together. It was a bit flimsy, until now.

Attachments

• DSCF0162.JPG
    DSCF0162.JPG
    124.4 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0163.JPG
    DSCF0163.JPG
    112.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCF0164.JPG
    DSCF0164.JPG
    123.8 KB · Views: 8

SEBRET

great work on the top. Did you make your own flaps for a level joint, or did you just use the ones given. the seams are well hidden.

P

paulhbell

Sebret, I used the tabs that skip included on the sheets. I was going to use my own tabs, but I decided to colour the paper joins with yellow felt tip pen. It's visible in the photo of the roof.

Thanks for the comment skip. Hard part comes soon, Joining the inside the the car body.

Pics of the rear window and frame, the last window now done.

And a photo of the body showing the windscreen glued in place. Needs a bit of a clean and the paper edges need colouring.

Only the rear screen and roof to fit. And another 2 wheels to finish.

Attachments

• DSCF0165.jpg
    DSCF0165.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCF0166.jpg
    DSCF0166.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 7
P

paulhbell

Ok, first the problem. I've tried for nearly the past week to find a way to glue the inside of the car to the car body. I just can't get my hands inside the car to do it.

I have tried to glue the body before I put the roof on, but that didn't work. I've also toyed with the idea of putting the body of this car on to a radio control car I have or build the car like nothing built his camero, door windows down. So I've decided to let you guys decide. How do you want the car finished.

With the windows down I can get my hand inside, to glue the inside headliner to the car roof, therefore finishing the car as nearly designed. Or see skips camero buzzing around the streets.

Sorry if this violates any rules for the comp. But I really need to get the car finished.

P

paulhbell

Ok, that settles it. Skips design, skip decides. Give me a few days and I'll post a video somewhere.

I will still finish the car, but I don't think it will be in time for the comp end date.

Good to see you here skip, not seen you around lately.

P

paulhbell

I've been having a look at the car today and trying to find a way around the problem of glueing the inside 'cockpit' to the car body. I think I may have found a way to do it, but with my build it's a bit late now.

First off build the inside 'cockpit', then assemble the clear windows to the frames and assemble the roof. Then before statring to build the lower parts of the car, attach the side windows, wind screen, back window, then the roof. This way allows access to the top of the windows, so they can be glued more in line with the inside 'cockpit'. Thats the bit I had problems with.

When the top of the car is done, start making the hood/bonnet, wings, lower part of the doors and rear end. Then attach the floor, finish the wheels , job done. Wish I had thought about doing the build this way before getting near the end.

I don't fancy ripping the car apart, at the moment, to try the above way of building, so I'll finish the car body, slap it on a remote car, have a bit of fun. Then look at stripping the car down and finishing it off.

I hope skip don't mind me giving this bit of advice, it is possible to fully assemble the car body and the insides, then attach them together. It's just that I can't get the parts to line up (hands to big).

I've nearly finished the body off, so I'll post a photo later on tonight.

Hmm...putting the car on an RC body...that gives me an idea! If a paper model like this were to be built, it could ( I suppose ) be reinforced with fibreglass matting and resin to make an actual car body. Might try that.

Since my only working RC car is a glow-plug job running nitro, putting a pure paper body on would not be a good idea.....

Still...it's cheaper than paying £50 for a shell! They tend not to last too long with enthusiastic driving...but then again, full 4Wd and a 4cc motor gets it up to around 50mph with it's current gearing. Would need something more robust than PVA glue to hold the model together!

P

paulhbell

I have both, glow-plug and electric, the electric car has the right wheel base and it will be a good fit. I won't be putting it on the nitro chassis, I think a flaming camero wouldn't be good.

As for the body being strong enough, good idea about the matting. But now the car body is all but finished, it's quite strong. It has about the same 'flex' as the plastic body that is on the RC car. As for front end strength, I was thinking of just packing the front with foam, thats usually where I crash. I haven't used the RC cars for a while, so I'm a bit out of practice, crashes will happen.

I think the electric RC was clocked at 15 to 20 mph, but that was a few years ago, My nitro go's as fast as yours.

I got fed up with having to re-charge electric cars, and love the smell of burning nitro :)

The chassis on mine is solid aluminium, and very strong... but after a messed up landing from a jump, she cartwheeled and made a mess.... Might do a search for a suitable model to try this on, or else go looking for higher poly 3D models that I can adjust to the right size. A few layers of matting and resin on the inside should stop it 'cooking' around the motor. The outside I can spray up.

Might need to screw in some longer mounting points to clip the shell on to...but that would be all.

Status
Not open for further replies.