Free Model #3 - ICM's Panzer IV Ausf D

Status
Not open for further replies.

NULLMOON

i like the idea of sharpening down brass tube/box to create a punch i may try that on my modelik whippet which has alot of repetative parts and for making rivets

nice work on this tank its one of the best free vehicles on the net:thumb:i had a go at the t34 ages back its certainly easier overall but the wheels are a bit more complex

p.s what printer do you have the parts look dotty like a pre-printed kit

p.s what printer do you have the parts look dotty like a pre-printed kit

Since my HP all in one has been giving me nothing but trouble lately.:curse: I've been using our color laser printer at work. It's a Lanier LP138c. I'd much rather use a good old inkjet printer because I'm not real happy with the dot pattern that it prints on the sheet and also the toner tends to scratch off if you don't first seal it with a matte spray (that happend on the scorpion, now I know better). But I guess beggers can't be choosers.

Pile 'O Parts

I finally got all the parts cut out for the 16 road wheels. Most had to be cut out with a pair of scissors because I do not have the correct size hole punch and they are much too small for my circle cutter. Believe me it doesn't look like much but it took many hours working off and on to complete this stage. I finally ended up with 13 separate pieces for each wheel x 16 = 208 total pieces. Compare this to the original design that would have been 3 each or 48 total. To me all the extra work is worth it, I feel that the more details I can add the better. Now all I have to do is put them all together.

The individual components are listed as follows starting from the top:
1. Outside tire tread, 2. Outside tire side wall, 3. .5mm tire spacer, 4. .5mm hub spacer, 5. Hub, 6. Star shaped wheel detail, 7. Outside wheel face, 8. Outside wheel back, 9 & 10. .5mm center spacers, 11. Inside wheel face, 12. Inside wheel back, and 13. Inside tire tread.
PanzerIVAusfD023-1.jpg

I also came up with a solution to cutting out the little squares in the tracks. I took CharlieC and Jim Nunn's advice here and ground down a regular #11 blade. The blade was ground to a width of 1.45mm then sharpened up on a wet stone. It's pretty sharp and should work out well for this procedure. I plan to grind down additional blades to various widths so that each cut can be made with a single motion.
PanzerIVAusfD025-1.jpg

That's it for now.

Rolling right along...

Here is the step by step construction process showing how the first of the 16 wheels went together.

First I attached glue tabs to each of the tire treads.
PanzerIVAusfD027-1.jpg

Next, I rolled them into shape with a bamboo stick and glued to two ends together.
PanzerIVAusfD028-1.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD029-1.jpg

This pictures shows the .5mm spacer attached onto the back of the tire's side wall to create a 3-D look. At this time I also painted the exposed edges with matching grey paint.
PanzerIVAusfD031-1.jpg

This is a picture of the spacer that connects the two wheel halves together. It was made from two 1/4" x .5mm disks then wrapped with the original tread section.
PanzerIVAusfD030-1.jpg

Wheel hub mounted to .5mm card.
PanzerIVAusfD032-1.jpg

Tire side wall w/ spacer attached to the face of the outside wheel
PanzerIVAusfD033-1.jpg

Front half of the outside wheel with the "star" detail and hub attached, ready to be glued together with the back half.
PanzerIVAusfD034-1.jpg

Front half ready to go.
PanzerIVAusfD035.jpg

Front half, center spacer, and back half of the wheel all ready to be glued together. Note: I did not add any extra details to the back half of the wheel as I don't think you would ever be able to see them anyway.
PanzerIVAusfD036.jpg

Here it is! the first one done! Only 15 more to go.....:eek:
PanzerIVAusfD037.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD038.jpg

Little Progress

I have finally completed the work on the road wheels. Next I will begin constructing the return rollers. I plan on using the shafts from Q-tips to attach them onto the side of the hull.

PanzerIVAusfD039.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD040.jpg

Ohio Mike, You're right - I'm not much of a coffee drinker. I prefer diet coke.

Cut out pieces for return rollers...Wish I had a punch this size!

PanzerIVAusfD041.jpg

Moving along-
Tonight I finished up the return rollers. They went together smoothly without any problems. I built them pretty much the same way that I did the road wheels as two separate halves only with a little less detail. I did add a little depth to them by setting the hub back about .5mm beyond the outside edge.

PanzerIVAusfD042.jpg

I plan on using Q-tip shafts to attach the rollers to the hull. (hopefully soon)
PanzerIVAusfD043.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD044.jpg

Next I am going to begin working on the drive gears and idler wheels - I've got three copies - plan on doing more layering.
PanzerIVAusfD045.jpg

That's it for now....It's going to be a busy weekend - The kids have a lot of sporting activities going on.... Not much extra time for the panzer this weekend......

M

Mark_1984

You have waaaaaay more patience than I would have to do all those wheels. I can't believe how neat you've got them.

Sprockets Done!

I've been working at the drive sprockets for a while now.

Here are all the pieces ready to go... Don't they look happy - they are smiling at you :mrgreen:
PanzerIVAusfD046.jpg

Since I mounted each sprocket onto a 0.5mm card stock it was necessary to trim about 1.0mm off of the outside edge of the center hub so that they would align correctly with the slots in the track. Otherwise they would be too wide.
PanzerIVAusfD047.jpg

Everything going together....
PanzerIVAusfD048.jpg

Notice how I added the additional supports to the inside of the assembly
PanzerIVAusfD049.jpg

Completed assemblies......now onto the idler rollers.
PanzerIVAusfD052.jpg

RG WILLIAMS

Panzer 4

Your work looks fantastic. I think the T-34 offering could be a tad less difficult to construct. The wheel and sprocket construction looks easier for a newbie. Thank for your instruction, I will follow it closely.

rg

Your work looks fantastic. I think the T-34 offering could be a tad less difficult to construct. The wheel and sprocket construction looks easier for a newbie. Thank for your instruction, I will follow it closely.

rg

RGW,
Why don't you build the T-34 and enter it in the "free model #3 comp"...There is still plenty of time. It dosent matter weather you have lots of experience or not, just do it for the fun of it. Besides there's plenty of people around here to help you out if you need it. I've never heard a negative comment from anyone here. Come on!... (twisting your arm)...what have you to loose!???... I'm sure everyone here would love to see your build. :thumb:

Here I am cutting out the parts for the idler wheels... I like to use a single edge razor blade - just tap it with a hammer to make quick work of cutting out pieces that have been laminated to card stock....
PanzerIVAusfD054.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD053.jpg

Here are all the pieces ready to be painted and assembled....
PanzerIVAusfD055.jpg

Began by gluing the inside wheel plates onto the back of the main wheel halves.
PanzerIVAusfD056.jpg

Next, I added the outside skin that goes around each wheel half...
PanzerIVAusfD057.jpg

Next, I rolled and formed the center hub and attached it to one half of the wheel...
PanzerIVAusfD058.jpg

Next, I attached eight spokes to the back half of the wheel...
PanzerIVAusfD059.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD060.jpg

Next, Glued the two halves together...
PanzerIVAusfD061.jpg

The final step was to add the extra little supports that fit between each spoke.
PanzerIVAusfD063.jpg

Completed wheel...
PanzerIVAusfD062.jpg

PanzerIVAusfD064.jpg

Thats it for now.... Next up are the tracks.

nibel

The wheel and gear is the reason I love tank model but never built any of them. But you did it so well! erhaps I should try T34 there...

Status
Not open for further replies.