Free Model #3 - DAR-21 Vector II from ModelArt

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by milenio3, May 19, 2008.

1. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

At last, here's my entry for the Free Model #3 contest. It is the Police airplane DAR-21 Vector II, from designer Dr. Emil Zarkov. Download is available for free in Moshe Lemer's e-store> ML Paper Models: Home Page

There are two versions of this good looking plane, the Advance and the Easy versions. My option is the Advanced one.

The model's directions ask for a wire for the landing gear and transparent paper for the windows. This is nothing strange in a model.

2. Nothing

Nothing Longtime Member

this is going to be awsome! good luck.
  3. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Here are the printed parts.

As you can see, the parts can be printed in standard letter size cardstock. I use 120 gr paper.

For laminating the formers, the directions recommend 0.5 mm thick card. I used the good old cereal box for this.
  4. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you, Nothing!

Now, down to the knife and glue.

[​IMG] The first thing to do is the former for the wings, which at the same time, is the former for the cockpit. You'll see.
  5. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

[​IMG] Now the cockpit. For the window I use transparent paper, the one you can buy in any paper & stationary store. In this picture, I cut out all the windows.

[​IMG] Now, the trick I use here is to cut the transparent paper larger than the piece of the cockpit (there is a guide for this on the files). Then, on the OTHER side of the printed sheet, I glue the transparent paper. This is a photo of the reverse side of the printed sheet. Then I just cut the cockpit part, carefully.

[​IMG] Now, I have my cockpit ready for assembly.
  6. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

The cockpit comes to its shape amazingly easy! Just follow the extremes and that's it!!

[​IMG] [​IMG]
  7. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

[​IMG] Next is the cabin. For this, the model instructs the use of a wire. I use flower wire. The instructions have a 4 view diagram of the correct shape of the wire. The objective is to have the landing gear base and the support for the plane.

[​IMG] This is the wire after being shaped.

[​IMG] [​IMG] Now I glue the wire to the underside of the floor piece. This is accomplished not only with glue, but also with pieces that work as supports.

[​IMG] [​IMG] The cabin has a piece for the control panel. The front is based also for the cockpit.
  8. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

[​IMG] The seats come in tandem. This is really a light plane, and, according to the description of the model, you can have it as a kit (the real one).

[​IMG] Here's the front seat in its place. Also the control stick and pedals are attached.
  9. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

[​IMG] The aft fuselage is one piece, and to attach the front fuselage, a single former is used.

[​IMG] Here is the complete fuselage. At the beginning it seems very unstable, but is not. Dr. Zarkov made the middle former in such a way that it serves its purpose.

[​IMG] A view from behind. Note that the second seat is glued.

[​IMG] And a view from the front.
  10. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

And now, we can attach the cockpit to the cabin and fuselage.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Everything fits very well.
  11. Cláudio Dias

Cláudio Dias Member

Nice job! Good luck in the competition!
  12. Dragos

Dragos Active Member

You can always bet on a ModelArt model , because it will be a succes . Good Luck!
  13. CJTK1701

CJTK1701 Banned

Looks like a great start to a great build. Was this free? I'm not seeing the link to this aircraft. I see paypal at the bottom of the page....???:confused:

Doh! I found it. My bad! cheers and good luck!:thumb:
  14. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you very much, friends. Yes, as Dragos says, if it is a ModelArt, is a beautiful model... guaranteed.
  15. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Today, a little more.

[​IMG] The wings structures are two stripes attached to three laminated pieces.

[​IMG] Then the wing itself. The model has the option of leaving the wing with or without movable control surfaces. I chose the later. Oh yeah! :thumb:

Now, here's a notice for Dr. Zarkov, or maybe Moshe can let the Dr. know about this. On the instructions, the piece 25 is specified as the starboard wing, and the piece 24, as the port wing. This is the other way around. The upper side of the wings have the "light" indicator (red or green), and the pieces 27 and 26 (under wing tips) also have the light indicator. So, piece 26 should go to wing 25 and vice versa (green with green, red with red). Not a big deal if you pay attention.

16. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

[​IMG] Now the wing tip.
    [​IMG] Both wings are ready.

[​IMG] There is a little strip that goes inside the cockpit structure. This is where the cockpit structure becomes also the wings support.
  17. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Very clean build Gerardo!! You had once again shown your great skills!!
  18. pahorace

pahorace Member

you are an excellent modeller!
    Thanks for all the information on this model
    and thanks for your teachings.

19. lriera

lriera Member

Gerardo, you are doing a very clean build. It looks outstanding. :thumb:

Thank you for sharing.
  20. milenio3

milenio3 Active Member

Thank you very much, my friends, for encouraging words.

Well, I have more to show.

Let's continue.