Free Mig-17

Discussion in 'Internet Finds' started by alfadoc, Mar 27, 2006.

1. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

2. Willja67

Willja67 Member

That guy has some very nice looking models. All you WWI guys will probably drool when you see what this guy has.
  3. Ashrunner

Ashrunner Member

I bought several of Gabriel's models when they were being sold by Steve Bucher of Digital Card Models. Even though I would invariably screw up cutting out the parts, those I did cut correctly, fit well. His B-25 was one of my best efforts ever. I gave it to a former B-25 pilot who lived nearby.

I'll be looking forward to Patty Wagstaff's aircraft. I have had the pleasure of watching her perform on several occasions, and she has always impressed me. I might even build her aircraft full scale 8v)
  4. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Real nice model, but...

That Mig 17 Sure is a nicely detailed build for a freebie.
    Being pretty new at this I have not tried changing the scale of a model yet, but I was just wondering if this model would look alright if I doubled it's size to 1/36.:???: Any opinions?
    It's a really nice model but I would like it bigger and I was also thinking about adding more detail to the cockpit. I'll need to find some interior pics of this Mig on the net. Does anyone know where I might find some?
    Thanks a heap!
  5. alfadoc

alfadoc Member

If you are planning to build more planes, try 1/33 or 1/32 scale. A lot of models are produced in these scales, so your collection will match.
    Both have photos of Mig-17 cockpits
    Has photos of instrument panels of various aircraft. No Mig-17, but a resource none the less.
  6. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Over at I experimented a little bit with enlarging this high-quality free download.

It is vector designed, so it should be possible to enlarge it almost infinitely. Turns out, however, that there is a misfit between the vector graphics and the pixel colour pattern, which makes it impossible to use Illustrator.

Therefore I found a method of enlarging the 1/72 original all the way up to 1/16 (4,5 times, 450 percent) in Photoshop, and without discernible loss of quality. If you have enough discspace and patience to wait for the conversion process to grind through all the way, you can probably do even better than my 300 dpi final resolution.

7. Amazyah

Amazyah Senior Member

Cool! A million thanks to both of you for the links and info!

You both made my day:D

This model has shoved it's way to the top of the to do pile of models!
  8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Mig-17 1:72 Scale by Gabriel Models

Hi Leif,

I also downloaded this fine little model yesterday. I printed it on high quality A3 photo paper and I thought I would try to scan this print in TWO A4 sections, to be able to enlarge it further, to A3 once again (two prints).
    I have tried this before with a Bristol Scout 1:72 model with excellent results. I scanned at 1200 dpi which yielded very sharp results, which could then be enlarged with full quality in Photoshop.
    However, I would like to try your ingenious method of "scanning" the original pdf-file (page 4) directly in Photoshop, with the desired dpi value.
    This method seems to be a lot better, as there is no loss of contrast and colour.

best regards,
    Bengt :grin:
  9. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Bengt, and others,

Before you really get going, have a look at at the printing mistake Gil spotted, and the way he fixed it.

Not sure I could manage that, but at least you should be aware of the problem.

10. cygielski

cygielski Member

One thing -- the number alteration that Gil did on the model on Kartonbau actually introduced an error instead of fixing one, because the forward section opens at the bottom, while the aft one under the cabin on top.
  11. Leif Oh

Leif Oh Member

Just arrived at the same conclusion myself and added a comment to that effect at Thanks for corroborating - I still wasn't quite sure.

No hard feelings I hope, Gil - it was a good thing to get the rusty old brain halves going before even getting my morning coffee!

12. cygielski

cygielski Member

BTW, I just tried and found that in illustrator it's easy to realign the bitmap back to the vector grid. It really only takes a few seconds with the resize tool (I found it easiest to use the top corner of the forwardmost section of the fuselage as the origin and resize using the left bottom corner).
  13. mig29

mig29 New Member

Guys, don't try so hard
    Tell me what scale do you want and I'll put only the part sheet.
    And what paper size will be ?(ore more than one paper?)
    I'll check my email to see your request.
    If are any particular requests, I''ll send the files by email

Regards to all

14. Gil

Gil Active Member

A Closer Look Reveals, Gabriel!

I think you just convinced many of us to become customers of your beautifully designed line of models. Using the originals panel lines to incorporate seams is new in cardmodeling so many of us were stuck in the "conventional wisdom" mode of thought. It's really nice to see a designer really applying new and original thought to the issues confronted in designing cardmodels. I wish you good luck and may you live long and prosper!

-Gil Russell
  15. Willja67

Willja67 Member

I have wondered how prevalent the idea was of putting seams where panel were. Until I bought the GPM corsair I hadn't seen that at all(I've only bought maybe 10 kits though) and thought I was a real genious for doing some of that. Funny thing was that the GPM corsair had the exact configuration as mine and was probably on the market before I even designed mine.

Note the second former back from the front, it angles forward in the middle and the seam follows the former. The real airplane had that same structure in it.
  16. Maurice

Maurice Member

17. Willja67

Willja67 Member

Nice to see you back Maurice, you are exceptionally predictable
  18. Gil

Gil Active Member

Had any original, creative or positive comments that you'd like to share with us Maurice...,

19. Maurice

Maurice Member

Oh all right, since you appear desperate, how about this to help with your other misconception and unjustified derision yesterday.
    And for a straight foward and elegant (but not simple) mathematical treatment of the following I can personally recommend Fluid Mechanics by Duncan. Thom and Young or the variety of works by Prandtl, particularly those in collaboration with Tietjens.
    Putting it very briefly.
    The spanwise distribution of lift on any wing of finite span is eliptical. Far from being dangerous an eliptical planform is the most efficient. Hienkel and Mitchell (amongst many others) both knew this and used it to advantage and none of their designs were in the least bit prone to excessive tip stall. Note that straight tapered wings are used to approximate the elipse and ease manufacture.
    There is a risk of unacceptable tip stall only when the wing planform is so sharply tapered that it's tip shape in effect lies within the elipse of the lift distribution.
    The Tummelisa design was perfectly sound in this respect, the Dh 88 was not.
    Also, all wings of finite span need washout at the tip because the angle of incidence of the airflow to the wing increases as it approaches the tip due to the formation of the wingtip vortices. Without it the wingtip would always stall before the wing root.

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

OK picture my head with all those words going about 9 feet/3 meters over the top of it..............

WOW!, to hear from a designer that wants to produce what people want is great! That's the main reason I love this hobby, designers listen to the builders! I love 1/33 scale myself, being cursed with big fingers and hands, 1/48 would be the next choice.

ANYTHING you design at these scales WILL be purchased by me. I PROMISE!

Just ask Nobi, I'm usually one of the first whenever he designs a new model!:grin:

Meanwhile........... I love the MiG but alas it is too small for me, I hope you will enlarge it.