Free Martin Mars Water Bomber

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Bob43, Dec 27, 2007.

1. Bob43

Bob43 Model Designer Extrodinaire Cornerstone Member

Here's the biggest, the Mars Martin water bomber which can carry up to 30 tons of water. The last 2 in existence 'live' in Canada. Even at 1:72 it's huge and is surely at the limit for the card modeller. But it is directly comparable with my other water bombers, all 1:72.
    This magnificent beast has a wing span of 80cm, and is printed on 19 card sheets + 2-3 on paper for the instructions.
    It's not easy: as it is big, you don't need tiny fingers. On the other hand, tiny errors in cutting, or in angle deviations result in minor adjustments. The modeller has to think at each stage, and make minor adjustments whenever necessary.
    Any ideas for other fire bombers?
    To help me, please indicate on my home page which of the 9 models interest you, and I will consider making improvements, add more detail etc etc.
    Have fun
    Free card model airplane sites
  2. gwssms

gwssms Member

Amazing model Bob! Thanks very, very much! Since you are now designing the big boys, how about Evergreen International Aviation's 747 water bomber?
    YouTube - Boeing 747 the water bomber
  3. Bob43

Thanks Gary, will think about it.
  4. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Thanks, Bob, another beauty! I like all of them, the only improvements I can suggest is more engine detail. As for other fire bomber subjects, how about the P2V neptune, or P-3 Orion? I've also seen a fire bomber version of the C-47, and even a DC-10.

Scott K.
  5. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

Fantastic model. This is very rare i hope you know. I mess around with RC and those guys have for years been looking for a model or plan for the Martin mars! I for one dont want to build that large of a RC airplane. This will be a shelf queen for sure! Thanks again.
  6. Bob43

Scott K.:
    You've hit the nail on the head - I must put more detail on the models and that is what I'm playing with at present: a new model, or bettering the old ones.
    If the former, I want to concentrate on real fire-fighters (the Canadairs are a very good example of this) rather than planes adapted to fire-fighting. Detail is difficult - I work on photos from surfing the net, and to get a good head on, top view, side view and yes, rear view. I contacted the Martin Mars operating company for plans, but got no answer - had thus to rely on more or less good fotos.
    I've noted your suggestions and will have a look at them, but NEW or IMPROVE, that is the question I must answer.
    Mike: It was a difficult one as it is actually rather too large for a card model, but I want to keep to 1:72 . There are RC plans for a Martin Mars, but have to be purchased. I'll look up the site for you, and will reply.

7. Bob43

What about starting with a good link IVAN which will bring you to ivan pettigrew's models, including a Martin Mars.
  8. OhioMike

OhioMike Member

And....If you look around, i believe Ivan is the only one offering plans for the Martin mars! There may be an older one offered by MAN or Model Builder but their not nearly what you can get from Ivan. And...of course his are very well done and worth the price, if your going to build a giant RC version. otherwise your rescaleing and other than redrawing by hand most have difficulty in rescaleing. These forums will attest to that.
  9. gregh

gregh Member

Bob - thanks so much again, grandsons and i are working on the c-54 and dc-3 this weekend. The Martin Mars will be built after the skyraider. Its definitely a biggie.
  10. Bob43

Hello Scott,
    Just a question - I've been looking again at the engines of my models; have you any one in mind which should be umproved (be frank)?
    The Skyraider is not too bad, I left out the cowling over the engine cowling, as this is quite problematic. The Martin Mars could do with the air input - I will re-do. Any one particular in mind?

11. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Bob, I looked the models over again, and I guess the only one that really "needs" anything done with the engines is the C-54. So far, because of my chronic ink shortage, it's the only one I've printed so far. I'm looking forward to finding the time to build it. Looks like the inner diameter of the ring section at the front of the engine needs to be a bit smaller. There's also a bit too much empty space behind the prop. Add half round cylinder pieces and/or a shaft piece? It's mainly just a matter of detail vs. ease of assembly, I guess.

Scott K.
  12. Bob43

I'll see what I can do. Thanks for the comment.
  13. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

As far as suggestions go, do you have any plans to try a helicopter at some stage? I love helicopters and my favourite water bomber would have to be "Elvis", the sikorsky sky-crane that is loaned to Australia by the U.S (complete with Canadian Pilots I believe) every year for our fire season.

My mother has just retired from her job at the government department that is responsible for looking after the Helicopter and crew (and the bushfires for that matter) and she quite often had to go and greet the Helicopter and crew upon arrival as she was responsible for all press releases etc. She tried more than a few times to get me into one of these events but the timing never woked out and I never got to see the big beast as up close and personally as I would have liked.

I've enjoyed watching your releases of these water bomber planes. Each one has come with a small history lesson of the plane itself, and i've learnt about planes I never would have heard of otherwise thanks to links and videos found in these threads (eg: the Martin Mars).

Keep up the good work. :thumb:
  14. Bob43

I have now improved the engines of the C_54 ....
    Added exhaust pipes, added air inlets, more conical front, markings and back plate. See image
    From my home page, the only sheets which have changed are 6A and 6B, with a Sheet 7 newly added.

Attached Files:

15. Bob43

Hello Jaffro,
    Looks interesting, and I have marked it down as a potential. For any other 'onlookers', I am becoming more interested in fire-fighters, no more military for the present. Especially fire-fighters solely designed for fire-fighting, and not adaptations.
  16. -Jim G

-Jim G Member

Elvis is in the building

Fiddlersgreen has a nice model of the Sikorsky Sky Crane: The Sikorsky(CH-54) S-64 Flying Crane Helicopter (CH-54) and Erickson Fire Fighting Champ !

I built this model a while back and it came out great. I bet it would be easy to modify the livery to that of Elvis.

-Jim G

17. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Thanks for the link Jim... I had a feeling I'd seen a model out there somewhere, but couldn't remember where I'd seen it or if I'd seen one at all. :D
  18. RyanShort1

RyanShort1 Member

I'd suggest the Neptune as well...

19. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

20. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

Looks good, Bob. I'll have to go grab the new parts, Thanks! This may also give me some inspiration to get back to work re-creating my lost B307. Before the disk crash, one of the areas I still had to work on was adding the same sort of detail to it's engines as well.

Scott K.