Free Google SketchUp!

Discussion in 'Software' started by Gil, Apr 30, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

Hi All,

A discovery made on Kartonbau needs to be reported here. Seems Google is offering a free version of SketchUp software. It's easy to use and supported by tutorials which will make anyone a user by the end. Seductively simple and easy to use it will set the entry level expectation of 3D drawing software to the World et al. It supports enough Import/Export data types to make it useful for cardmodeling especially for those interested in architecture.

2. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

Hella interesting ... I may give it a whirl ... nothing will totally pull me away from AutoCAD and 3DMax though.
  3. NOBI

NOBI Active Member

Free version of sketchup can not export model what did inside sketchip to common 3dmodel format like .DXF or .3DS, can only export to GoogleEarth's model what use inside GoogleEarth. Dont know SketchUpPro can do or not :) but I like a look of render 3dmodel inside look like cartoon :p
  4. Gil

Gil Active Member

Texture Map Export?

Hi Nobi, Stev0,

The free version isn't as capable as is the pro version and no, it will never replace a real CAD package. I'm curious as what exactly Google expects from this package besides it's use with Google Earth buildings. Outbuildings can be make remarkably fast with it and then exported to a higher capability CAD package for scene integration or unfolding. Now wondering whether the texture map can be exported too...,

5. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

When desktop 3D modeller devices become available, expect some kind of link; precoloured models are already possible with the Z-Corp devices ( Remember, you have seen the future, and you saw it HERE!

Anyone stumped up the readies for a Pro license yet? I'm working on my boss to see if we can get it at work, but I think he is frightened the moths in his purse might escape.....

Tim P
    PS perhaps we ought to put Google and Robocraft in touch with each other.....
  6. goney3

goney3 Member

Hi All,

Yeah, SketchUp can export to 3DS, DFX, DWG ... plus their is an export plugin at Kerkythea's website which allows you to export as OBJ.

I find the exports as 3DS work the best with Pepakura :)
    It exports texture etc so no worries there. Plus all SketchUp models are low polycount so they work really well!

You can use something like Kerkythea to photo-render it (since sketchup is terrible for photo-rendering). And its FREE ;)

I have v4.0 of SketchUp, I dusted it off last night and decided to render an old project in Kerkythea. Working on that blue-see-through-plastic look.

Im still learning the lighting and materials library for it, but I'll get there... you should check out the images some of the Kerkythea users have made on their website. Its amazing!

Anywho, happy modeling one and all!
  7. Gil

Gil Active Member

Nice Find

Goney, Having a fair renderer with Sketchup makes a really nice package to do set design and architectural layouts. One upping with the rendered scenes is icing on the cake. -Gil
  8. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

OK, Rhino 4 beta will import a SketchUp file as a mesh model, will render it with any applied textures, will export the model as a .3ds file, which Pepakura will open, and develop.

Almost........ I can't get the 'weld' function to work properly, it seems to distort the applied textures, but if you don't mind not welding and then re-assembling the developed mesh model from the pepakura development, it seems to work!

So near, and yet so far.....

Anyone else had a look at this? I haven't tried all the other possible combinations yet.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  9. Gil

Gil Active Member

Now Look at the Fine Mess You've Gotten Me Into...,

Hi Tim,

Does this mean that Pepakura does one of those triangle scatter plots with texture? Is it possible for you to show pictures of any results?

Best regards, -Gil
  10. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

Hi Gil, yes, thats the one! The skp file opens OK in Rhino with the meshes coloured apparently randomly (materials?) but if you photo-render them, any textures applied in SketchUp appear correctly. But weld any or all of the mesh parts, even if they have the same texture applied and the rendering goes squiffy. And if you don't weld them, pepekura does it's 'blow it all to bits' routine. I'll do some screen shots shortly.
  11. goney3

goney3 Member

AWESOME! Does this mean we'll be getting a sketchup to pepekura tutorial? :-D
  12. wunwinglow

wunwinglow Active Member

goney3, I must be tired; I cannot get it to work at all now!!! I think there is a scaling issue, the textures are 'real' sizes somehow, and my Rhino set-up is for smaller iitems, and I must be clicking 'no' sometime when I clicked 'yes' yesterday!

Anyway, whatever you do, if you weld any meshes, you loose the UV texture mapping data from the original creating software, so this is a bit of a dead-end just now. I've e-mailed SketchUp support with a feature suggestion, ie to be able to output a SketchUp model as a developed, tabbed, scaled, printable, paper model generator. This would be wonderful. But I'm not holding my breath..... I'll let you know if I get a reply.

Tim P (wunwinglow)
  13. goney3

goney3 Member

*drools* That would be too cool for words! :yep: