"Free" CAD Software

Discussion in 'Gallery & Designs' started by sdk2knbk, May 4, 2007.

1. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

While researching something else, I found this page; http://www.freebyte.com/cad/cad.htm
    They've gathered many links together for more freeware, shareware, and demo 2D/3D CAD programs than I've ever seen before. Note: high speed connection recommended for downloads, most are usually very large.

Scott K.
  2. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Great find!! Might as well try some of those in spare time~
  3. sdk2knbk

sdk2knbk Guest

A "Free" version of AutoCAD Inventor?

Yet another "free" program to add, AutoCAD's Autodesk Inventor LT. Find it here; http://labs.autodesk.com/technologies/inventor_lt/

Has a few "catches".

"*Once activated, Inventor LT Technology Preview will run until May 1, 2008*

• Intel® Pentium® 4 or AMD® Athlon® or later with 2.2 GHz or faster processor; or compatible
    • 1.0+ GB RAM (512 MB minimum)
    • 1.0+ GB of free disk space (for installation)
    • Direct3D 9 graphics support with 64+ MB
    Much more computer than I have!

(quote from the MCAD news email I received)

Inventor LT shares a number of things with Inventor, with a few notable exceptions. Inventor LT can be used for part modeling only, assembly modeling is not part of the package, nor are sheet metal design and dynamic modeling. In other words, Inventor LT does not support Inventor assembly models (.iam), Inventor assembly drawings (.idw or .dwg), of Inventor sheet metal parts (.ipt). If you try and open an Inventor assembly file with Inventor LT (and this is the first thing that I tried), the program prompts you to open the assembly with Inventor View, a free viewer that is part of Inventor LT that lets you view and measure assemblies.

I was very interested until I read the details. (I still need to learn 3D to bring my CAD skills up to date and make myself more employable.) But, since I can't run it anyway, and would take forever to download it on dialup, oh, well! Maybe someone here can make good use of it.

Scott K.