France rail

pia

Hi! Me and a bunch of friends have just come back from an amazing holiday and I cannot wait to tell anyone about it. France rail travel really helped us see a lot more than we expected to on our budget! Saw the whole country (much better to see it all than just spending a few days in Paris or on the Cote d’Azur) and amazingly enough also managed to improve my GCSE French. Also, with the French rail pass flexibility, we didn’t have to stick to set times, but were able to move around freely as we liked. Therefore I’d really recommend travelling France by train to anyone who is interested in seeing the whole country and actually getting to know it properly!

nkp174

I enjoyed what little of France I saw from SCNF...but I also hit up the SBB, OBB (crossed the entire country on the Maria Theresa), and DB (including the ICE) with that same eurorail pass. It was cool, a tremendous bargain, and flexible! Last year my wife and I took the GNER Flying Scotsman from York to Newcastle...and a gas electric (I think) from Newcastle to Carlisle. It was a lot of fun.

I plan to get rail passes in the future.

EDIT: SBB is Switzerland, OBB is Austria (Oesterreich), and DB is Germany.

ozzman

If you can work it the national (eg French, Italian, German etc) railcards are usually better value than Eurailpass. In May and June of last year I spent nearly seven weeks travelling around Germany on a Bahncard 50, and it worked out very well.