Frame Rack Flatcar

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I know in HO they are readily available. As for scratch building, I would consider it a fairly easy project if you were to use brass stock and bend it in a home made jig for uniformity. I'd love to see where this project takes you, please keep us posted.

C

Catt

Strthoky,might I suggest that you build one frame ,make a mold ,and cast your own frames.Then sell me a few car loads of them. :D

I have been sent a lot of photographs of these cars and the frames, but pattermaking and castings would be a bit difficult. The frames would need to be cast in resin as metal would probably be too heavy, especially on one of my metal 89ft flatcars.

The resin castings would be rather delicate, and LOTS would be needed per car.

There are also racks which hold the frames, and racks on the car end which hold small containers. A very interesting car, but quite a challenge to reproduce well.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I haven't tried this particular type of load, but if it were me, rather than fabricating indiviual frames, I would look into a way of making each stack a single piece...perhaps a core piece mader of wood, foam, styrene, etc, with styrene, brass, or plastruct shapes attached to the outside...?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Originally posted by Charlie
I haven't tried this particular type of load, but if it were me, rather than fabricating indiviual frames, I would look into a way of making each stack a single piece...perhaps a core piece mader of wood, foam, styrene, etc, with styrene, brass, or plastruct shapes attached to the outside...?

Charlie's got a lead here...how about making patterns of the left and right sides of the frame stacks, casting those then joining them with bits of square stock?

Greetings to you Allen from the Gulf of Mexico.