Forum Re-Shuffle, Help me help you :)

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by jaffro, Dec 1, 2007.

1. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

Hi There!

As previously mentioned in This Thread, I am going to be helping out with a redesign of the forum layout. The idea of this project, is to make the forums easier to navigate, and to cut down on some of the cross-posting, and what I like to call "wrong-forum incidents" that are caused by the somewhat confusing current layout.

Seeing as a forum like this is nothing without it's members, I wanted to let you all have your say in how we go about this, and to let me know early on in the planning stages of this project, your ideas and suggestions to help make this a better place for all of us.

Basically, the idea is to re-arrange the forum categories, and the forums within, to best suit their uses and your needs. Some forums will be merged, some will disappear completely, new ones will no doubt be created.

All ideas and suggestions will be taken into consideration, and obviously, the more support an idea gets, the more chance it has of making it into the final layout so don't be afraid to have your say, even if you think your idea is not good enough, or won't be considered.

Thanks for your time.

jaffro (Nick).
  2. Master-Bruce

Master-Bruce Active Member

Hey Nick,

Here's mine.

I often design,build, and watch scifi models. These are what my main interest is.

When I'm designing, something I'll often post my design thread in the Scifi section rather than the designers corner. This is because even though it's a design, it's also scifi so I put it there. I've also found found that my threads get better response when started in the scifi section, that the designers corner is oftern over looked.

My suggestion would be to either dissolve the designers corner and have design WIP threads in their specific category, or to have sub sections(by genre) in the Designers Corner.

Hope that made sense, I often have trouble describing what I'm thinking. ;)
  3. Mark_1984

Mark_1984 Guest

My t'pence worth.

The 'Members' section seems OK, but News & News Archives could be merged, and Rules and Help could also be merged.

The 'Card Models' section needs a big re-organisation. Too cluttered and too much duplication.

Specific models seems pretty much OK. Perhaps we should encourage design threads and kit reviews to go in the appropriate specific model category ? As Skupilkinson suggests, the Designer's Corner could be dropped, or at least reserved for general design discussion and not used for full blown design threads.

The lounge could do with a slim down as well IMHO

That's my suggestions - feel free to disagree.

Could we have some feedback from other members. I'm sure Jaffro would like to know if suggestions are popular or not.

4. paulhbell

paulhbell Guest

I was happy with the way the forum was. It took a while to recover from the change in hosts, lets not go through a major change again, please.

But if the changes improve the forum, thats not a bad thing.
  5. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

I agree with Skip, I'm seeing a trend in posting designs into respective boards. --Although I'm not completely agreeing with such doing (unlike Skip however if I post in the Figurines section no-one would give it a look), this might bring order to the forum. We could have the designer's corner (possibly merging with Softwares) as a place for tips, tutorials and problems for designers.

But on the other end I suggest re-shuffles/activities/competitions that will bring people outside their category.
  6. jaffro

jaffro Long term member

I'm not really surprised that most of the feedback so far is regarding the Design type threads and forums, as this area really needs work.

The forum redesign doesn't have to be about less forums, it's more about making the board easier to navigate both for new and old members.

I'd like to see a new design category added, this may mean adding separate forums for each design category, just like the "build" forums, which would make things easier to locate. We could then bring a few other forums into this category, such as Software, tutorials etc.

At the moment though it's all about ideas, keep them coming. :thumb:
  7. cdavenport

cdavenport Member

As a newcomer to the Forum, I am in agreement with Skupilkinson's observations. I would prefer all posts pertinent to a specific model category to be found therein.
  8. paperbeam

paperbeam Member

Both Skupilkinson's and Lex's comments seem agreeable to me.:thumb:

Ping-Pong Ball Cannon and N/Z scale Old West paper models (free samples) at: paperbeam - virtual paper models
  9. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I would also like to reinforce the use of the WIKI. It is very underutilized right now. I tried quite hard to get it going but it kinda fizzled. Some things that are on the forums now could be worked into there really easily. Specifically links and such. Only problem is that there is no notifications when it gets updated. I wonder if thats possible to set up..... hmmmmmm

I like using the Wiki for links because anyone can modify anything and dead links can be updated/removed by anyone etc. Also if someone messes up and say deletes the whole thing it can be rolled back - no worries! :)

Just a quick thought before I go home and deal with snow again....
  10. Lex

Lex Dollmaker

Yes, EVERYONE GO WORK ON THE WIKI!!! :D --I thought I was the only one writing entry for the past month or so...