Forming radii

Discussion in 'Tips, Tutorials & Tools' started by Sticky Fingers, Sep 29, 2004.

1. We have all had the problem of getting that perfect radius for a funnel on a ship or some other model. We try and follow the formers as much as possible but some times it just doesn't work out. Now some body may have though of this already and I'm pretty some has to of. Fimnd a metal or plastic object that mathces the radius you need on the inside of the curve and take a piece of card and soak it with PVA glue form the card over the radius and apply a clamp to hold the stock together. When the glue is dry the card will hold the radius to a large degree. It seems the parts has literally become a composite of card in a glue matrix. This is siminliar to the trick of applying PVA glue to the back side of hull plates to stiffen them.
  2. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Mark

A very good idea, it can even be used to form those curves that just will not stay in the shape you bent them into 8)

Noted and will be used thanks mate

3. charliec

charliec Active Member

An even quicker and dirtier solution which works on light card is to wrap the outside with cling film - this will hold the part until the glue dries and won't leave any clamp marks on the card.

4. I was thinking of this as a substrate. But one could always leave the end of the part cut long if required. Think of this in much the same way as the foam debate I seem to of instigated or Gil's (the only individual here that should be rated as Inventor Imperious IMO). Just another in the possible bag of tricks for the skills box
  5. charliec

charliec Active Member

If the part you're trying to form is only a sector of a curve then the cling film idea works well. For example the mantlet of tanks2scale's Panther is formed from 3 layers of card.

6. jrts

jrts Active Member

Hi Charlie

Great idea for using cling film as a clamping aid, got tons of the stuff and would never have thought of using it. Out go the rubber bands and in with the film :D

The idea of the post on foam was just to see what the guys and gals thought about the extent some builders had taken the foam and resin builds to, thats all mate.
    Your model realy was not at issue, its a great project you have and we do realy look forward to seing the finished ship and how you did all of it.

Keep all the great ideas coming troops

7. Maurice

Maurice Member

stuffing glass fibre mat inside polyester resin.

BTW doesn't that foamy plastic stuff continue to expand gradually over time, bit sort of like concrete takes years to harden fully - ouch.
    See you through a contest though.

Like the cling film bit.

8. Marice I really have no idea just what some other people are using as far as the foam goes but the product I used is sold in the US at home improvement centers and lumber yards as an insulation product in 4 x 8 foot sheets (there we go with the archaic units again !). One sheet is enough to last a long time. Comes in a varity of thicknesses up to 1-1/2". The product is very similiar to the foam used by the poeple who build homebuilt airplanes as I understand it though not quite as dense. The same stuff is geting used as a scenery base for Model Railroading and dioramas
  9. Maurice

Maurice Member

Thought you were using the expanded stuff, which is inert, rather than the foaming type, which isn't - should have addressed the "BTW" to Rob who had just mentioned the foam bit.