Forming Drift Club at Local Track - Need Your Advice!!!

Discussion in 'RC Drifting and Setup' started by f1junkie, Jul 8, 2004.

1. f1junkie

f1junkie Guest

I have been given the responsibility of forming a drift club at my local track.

I will be given a TL-01 car to use as a demo car, and I will be ordering preassembled drift wheels. So hopefully it will come together fairly smoothly. I will be using some of my electronics and batteries will also be donated.

But I need your help in trying to organize activities around R/C drifting at my track. Now I realize it should be less strict than racing, which we have, but I don't really know where to start.

What types of things should I have? What I am looking for is just a friendly atmosphere where a different group of people will be hanging out. I still race but being given the responsibility of trying to form a drift club is a neat idea.

I should mention that I am in Toronto, Canada, where there are some serious real-car enthusiasts. So hopefully we can try to attact some of them into the hobby. Racing is so hardcore, but drifting is more about flow!

I would really appreciate your suggestions in this thread - hopefully there will be enough ideas to make me feel more confident and have more of a plan than before!

So, what types of drift activities should we have? Just run for fun? Any types of competition? Skills development? Concours? Any suggestions will be very helpful to me, and I really appreciate it!

Thanks in advance,

2. nagatahawk

nagatahawk Guest

Your entering virgin turf. :D

Let me ask a few questions,
    do you have a LHS that supports Drifting?
    Any local rc publications that publicize?
    They could help a lot. :wink:

In order to attract people you should have a couple of drift masters to show what can really be done.

A demo car is always good.

We started a loose knit group that meets behind Best Buys every friday night.

We started with three or four of the locals.

luckily Super Street mag and Yokomo joined to offer the first major RC Drift Expo using D1 rules , single qualifying, and pairs drift off for the final 18.

Then after the expo we met drifters. whom we invited to come out to our little drift track. We had over 30 last friday, but It will probably fall off because the Drift expo Nirvana fading and people getting together in their home towns.

Gotta have hot drivers and killers looking cars for full effect to attract. :D

You can do it. starting small then building up to a drift event. Use this forum to bring your locals in to support your club. How can people not want to try rc drifting? It is the funnest, rc actilvity I have ever tried, That includes, rc boats, planes helis, gas cars, monster trucks, racing and tamiy TCSs. cheapest too. all skills and presentation! :wink:
    Good Luck!
  3. SpArKeY_STi

SpArKeY_STi Guest

Best way to attract... show off! :lol: You say theres a lot of real car people... im sure you have real car shows then every week or something. Just roll down there and start drifting around the lot a little bit. Be carefull that your not in the way of anyone or what not, but kinda try and be "in the action". That attracts people like MAD! Or just go down to any sort of event that you know people are going to gather (mainly younger ones... such as 8 - 20 yr olds, its easyer then older people in that they accually get birthday preasents and dont have many bills) and ask security or what not if its alright. Or just pic a hot spot where people drive by and drift there. But no matter what... make sure its legal. One place thats a really good one that you dont have to worry about laws with... Parks. Its one of the top things to do on a week... and they make for some REALLY good perminate drift tracks.

As for what comps you can do, just have fun with it! Heres some ideas...

1) Longest drift
    2) Most perfect drift
    3) longest chain drift
    4) concourse (durh! :roll: )
    5) Blind drift. This one could get REAL interesting! Just use a simple lay out such as a square and do like the blind races... theres some real entertainment...
    6) Musical drifts... like musical chairs but have lil parking spots and you drift a oval and try and make it in when the music stops...

Thats just to name a few... just make stuff up. Have the most 360's, fastest drifts.. anything.
  4. AE86 Drifter

AE86 Drifter Guest

also you should get a lot of the ofna wheels and premount em with abs or pvc. that way you can let others try putting them on their cars and drifting with em and you could also sell em very cheap to get others started into this spectrum of rc. also explain to them exactly how to make them and maybe even take supplies and show others how to do it while they watch you do it.