Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by cdwheatley, May 14, 2009.

1. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

What thickness of card do you guys use for the formers when building your aircraft models?!
  2. zealousy

zealousy Member

I used 0.6mm card on a 1:33 model I'm building now. Works fine.
  3. cdwheatley

cdwheatley Member

I see. And do you vary this depending on whatever scale the models is?! Please forgive my ignorance, but I've never build a model with formers before! What do you find is the best way of making them?!
  4. zealousy

zealousy Member

Well join the club......I'm not too familiar with formers myself. The instructions stated specefically to use 0.6mm card. And during the build, it felt like it was the perfect thickness at that scale. I would imagine you would need thicker card to support a model at a larger scale, and thinner card on smaller models for ease of application.
  5. sjsquirrel

sjsquirrel Member

I have a supply of .5mm poster board I use for formers on small to medium sized models (say up to 18 inch length/wingspan/what-have-you). On larger models I use 1mm (laminating two layers of the .5). Some builders use foam-core board on large ship models and the like. Commercial (and some free) kits often specify the thickness that should be used.

6. Padre

Padre Guest

When I rescale a model I usually measure the slots and build to conform to that. I usually do that for any model.