Former Steel Mill site..

Discussion in 'N / Z Scale Model Trains' started by csxengineer, Jan 19, 2006.

1. csxengineer

csxengineer Member

Now, sadly, all that remains of the once bustling steel mill complex is weeds, an old bottle car, and a building that is gradually becoming an RIDC building. Crane is still in progress. 100% scratchbuilt, along with most everything elso on this layout.

Attached Files:

2. ddavidv

ddavidv Member

Nice work, and very accurate. There are a lot of abandoned steel mills in varying degrees of decay around me, and lots of abandoned trackage and roadbeds. I always thought it would make for good modelling...and I was right. :D
  3. coaster

coaster Member

I'm only glad you included the wall in the background as well as the overhead reference shots. I might not have believed they were models otherwise -- at least not at first (or even fifteenth) glance!

-- Paul

PS There's something about the scene (particularly the torn-up track and the utility poles still in place) that reminds me of the SP's long-abandoned Bayshore Yard out here . . .
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

Fantastic! Abandoned industries are not often modeled but certainly are part of real life. I recognise the Union RR crane from their web site which I logged on a few times to get inspiration for my waterfront coal loading scene. Looks great!
  5. johnny b

johnny b Member

Comming from an area with quite a few abondoned mills I must say that looks very good. Unfortunetlly abandoned mills and factories are becomming all to common everywhere in this country.
  6. b28_82

b28_82 Member

Looks great! Did you weather the bottle car? I am still trying to decide how to go about weathering 3 of my bottle cars.
  7. COX 47

COX 47 Member

Looks like the 'rust belt' on the east coast good modeling...Cox 47