Forget the out for the builder

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by causticphlegm, Jul 8, 2007.

1. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

I have spent the last week on this APC from the Aliens movie and only had two wheels to do for completion when it slipped outta my hand. In my haste to catch it, it hit the tips of my fingers and went flying even further away from me, sooooo...I hastily jumped outta my chair, took a step, then another one just to land my foot (and the rest of my considerable weight) right on it. The whole affair took about 1.5 seconds but un-did a weeks work.

I tried to pop it out but as you can see...unrecoverable. <Holds head in hands>

I had a plan to get some nice matte black spray and do the whole thing (sans wheels) to get a nice even finish (slight banding on my aging printer) and hide the edges. Ya know, give it the star treatment. One benefit of this build is that I now know that an all black model is something I'm never going to attempt again. It just doesn't look all that good, no matter how much care you put into it. I'm actually embarassed by this one...but thought I'd share my mishap. :oops:

2. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

Well, you could put the last couple of wheels on it, and use it in a diarama. It did get kinda beat up in the movie.....
  3. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

Nice battle damage. :cry:

Other than that how did the build go? I have this one on my build list.
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Been there..................
    Done that..................
    Got a T-shirt.................(actually it's quite a collection)

Sorry man................but look on the bright side.............. second time around is always better!

5. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

I tend to drop the parts of the table and out of reflex close my legs to catch them - squish.....

Hope I never do that with an xacto....
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Nobody here would be that absent minded would they? :rolleyes:

7. Kaz

Kaz Member

Oh the reflex catch action, I would guess everyone here has been caught out by that, at least once, and not confined to paper modeling.
    I'd do as MOS95B suggested, a very good idea.
  8. causticphlegm

causticphlegm Member

Yeah, next time something falls, I'm just gonna let it. The 3 foot drop to the carpeted floor will do a lot less damage than me trying to catch it.

@B-Manic: The build is detailed but very easy to do. The only thing that I would change is build some kind of interior support structures. It's a fairly big model with lots of empty space in the main "shell". Kinda flimsy, even using 110lb paper. Either that or I would laminate two pages together. Another gripe is, as stated, the whole thing is black. Talk about a way to point out every miniscule flaw! If I was to build this again I would do the camo version that is on Jan's site.
  9. JackFrost

JackFrost Member

was looking good too ;) but at least now its a roadside hazard
  10. MOS95B

MOS95B Member

I caught a bee once out of reflex, intending to just shoo it away...

And with the diarama idea, you now have a reason to build more of Jan's Alien models. I'm building his pulse rifle now, and will agree that he needs some internal supports for his models.
  11. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

I did. And it hurt. I no longer use any no. 11 blade holders that have a cross section even remotely resembling a circle or a regular polygon.
  12. rickstef

rickstef Guest

get some rolls of the cheap tp, that is what i use for the stuffing of my soldiers, simple and effective

13. B-Manic

B-Manic Peripheral Visionary

I use a chopstick holder for my xacto knife. My xacto knife is the type with a hex collar at one end but it still rolls around. One of these things could do serious injury, especially if one of the circumflex femoral arteries was involved (located on the inside of the thigh). :cry:
  14. ajmadison

ajmadison Member

You bet.

A tip in Fine Scale was to glue or tape a section of sprue to end opposite the blade of these round or nearly round blade holders. I'll leave the obvious variations on this theme as exercises for the reader.

Frankly, my hands get tired from holding the round/ed blade holders so I used this as excuse to buy all new holders & what not. For routine work, I use retractable blade holders with snap off segments, ala Olfa. So I retract the blade just before setting the knife down, and pop it out just before applying to paper or plasticard.
  15. Chthulhu

Chthulhu Member

16. tk1055

tk1055 New Member

now all you need to do is scorch it up then make a dropship. Wreck the dropship and scorch it. then use both in a diorama with scale figures to redo the Game Over part of Aliens