Ford Trimotor?

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by wyverns4, Mar 14, 2007.

1. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

I can vaguely remember having a card model of the Ford Trimotor when I was a kid, oh, about 40 years ago! My Dad worked for Ford, and this item was bound in a large format softcover book. I think it was designed in American Airlines livery, but I'm not sure.

Anyway, I was thinking of this the other day, and it got me wondering if anyone else remembers a kit like this. Is there a Ford Trimotor model, hard-copy or digital out there? Anyone know where I could find one!

Thanks for letting me ramble and date myself!

2. gippolot

gippolot Member

3. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

Ford Trimotor

Yes, there was what I thought was a very nice model in a book (1/33 IIRC) with an interior. I still have it partially completed. It sometimes shows up on either Ebay or in some of the vintage lists.

Best regards,

Artie Bob
  4. Bluenoser

Bluenoser Member

You can buy one right now from PMI.

Attached Files:

• x.jpg
      File size:
      69.6 KB
  5. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Schreiber-Bogen Ford Tri-motor 1:50 Scale

Hi Rick,

Here´s a direct link to the German publisher of this fine card model - look under "Catalogue" and then "Aeroplanes" in the left-hand margin:
    The Tri-motor model is at the bottom of the airplanes page. It is printed with a realistic gray silverized surface colour.
    I bought a copy a while ago but I haven´t started on it yet.

Did you see the Indiana Jones movie, by the way, where they are flown out of China in a Ford Tri-motor and crashed somewhere in northern India or Tibet? The Ford Tri-motor closely resembles the Fokker F.VII/3M, which was also built in the US in the late 20s.

Good luck with your model,
    Bengt :D
  6. Artie Bob

Artie Bob Member

The 1/50 Schreiber model is not the same as the 1/33 book model, published by a USA company (IIRC). I will go look in the partially built box and see if I can ID the publisher.

Best Regards,

Artie Bob
  7. wyverns4

wyverns4 Member

Thanks guys!

Thanks, guys! A 1:33 kit with full interior would be so cool to find! Even better would be one with actual corrogated skins! Can you imagine trying to form those parts! I'll keep my eyes open. Maybe some day I'll learn some 3D design and try to make my own.

8. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

9. cmdrted

cmdrted Active Member

Here is a version of the trimotor I had that I picked up on ebay a couple years ago. It had a rudimentary interior complete with wickerbacked chairs and a fairly detailed engine. I never built it and sold the darn thing as I was waiting for a better version that never came! I was sure after a detailed Spirit of St louis that someone would've made a better trimotor!

Attached Files:

10. Bengt F

Bengt F Active Member

Ford Tri-motor 5-AT

Hi cmdrted,

Thanks for the tip!
    That looks like a BIG card model of the Tri-motor. It must be substantially bigger and more detailed that the 1:50 version from Schreiber-Bogen in Germany.
    I did a fast check with Books and, and it is actually still available, both new and slightly used from a variety of sellers at very reasonable prices (some as cheap as $6.00).

I think I´ll try to order a copy.

All the best,
    Bengt :D