Ford Motors Module; Stamping Plant

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Hi guys, Im building a 10'6" x 3' Ford Motors Assembly Plant Module.

It will have 3 of the 6 buildings from Walthers Cornerstone Ford Motors Line-Up previously released and retired in 1998. 2 Stamping Plants bashed together, 2 Assembly Plants bashed together, and the Tire Plant.

Here is the Stamping Plant, not yet complete but getting close. This building is MASSIVE and the biggest building i have EVER built or seen model wise. I need to finish off the roof for the front of the building as i did not have enough from the 2 kits so regular styrene will be used. Some added details will be installed too but here is some pictures as the building looks now:

Sorry for this first pic, its a little blurry wall1 :eek:ops:

SL370440.jpg

SL370441.jpg

SL370442.jpg

SL370443.jpg

SL370444.jpg

SL370445.jpg

SL370446.jpg

SL370447.jpg

SL370448.jpg

SL370449.jpg

As of right now the roof is sagging alot, i need to find a way to fix that when I finish off the roof, more to come soon

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You're right, Josh, that is a big building. If you can find that .060" sheet styrene that I mentioned, cut some strips from it (about 10 scale feet wide), then cut them to the same length as the height of the roof supports on the inside of the kit's walls. Use liquid styrene cement or lacquer thinner to cement them into tall "t"s or "T"s (or just about any other multi-faceted letter ;)) and use them as columns to support the roof. Because the styrene is so cheap, you could even make full-height partitions that span the width or length of the structure. The prototypes of this style of building are usually not partitioned, though, unless a bay or two is used as office space. To prevent viewers from looking into (or through) the building, I used a very well-thinned spray of Floquil paint (I don't recall the exact colour, but it was a fairly light green) sprayed on the inside of the window "glass", to give a "tinted" effect. This was very common on this style of building. I sprayed mine while they were still on the sprue, then assembled the glass to the frames before installation in the walls. This allowed me to use a small brush to further darken individual "panes", another very common sight. Keeping the "tinting" on the inside surface of the windows allows the "glass" to keep its glass-like shine for viewing.
100_5730.JPG

2007-01-10_481.jpg

If you can't locate large sheets of styrene, you could also use suitable lengths of 4" diameter PVC or ABS pipe as roof supports, although you'd not likely be able to glue them in place. Simply stand a couple of them, like giant columns, appropriately placed inside the building.

Wayne

tetters

Rail Spiking Fool!
Jan 21, 2005
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
There is a couple photos in particular when at first glace the window and blinds look like a huge office building attached to the plant.

Looks neat...looking forward to the rest of the build.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
Wayne thats a GREAT idea, thanks!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I never even thought of makeing columns, it would be pretty realistic in fact. I also like the idea of glazeing the windows so you cant see in the as much, it might be a little difficult to do it now but its still worth a try. I could prolly just flip th building upside down and get to the windows that way. Thanks for all the great tips and tricks Wayne :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

BTW the heavyer glazeing of some of the window panes looks really cool :twisted: :mrgreen:

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Josh...
That is going to be one impressive building! Can't wait to see more!:thumb::thumb::thumb:
Keep it up, buddy!:winker:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
Josh:wav: , Being I'm a Ford guy:thumb::mrgreen: , i cant wait to see this project come together!:thumb::thumb::thumb: KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK!:winki::mrgreen: .
:deano: -Deano