For WM-N-Fan

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
WM-N-Fan,
Some time ago you requested that I post photos of my WM/B&O layout. I finally figured out how to do it.

The first one here is the roundhouse and yard at Hagerstown/Baltimore -- whichever you want to be in at the time. The B&O handles freight between the two cities, and all passenger service anywhere on the layout.

West is toward the left, a train leaving Baltimore would curve around behing the roundhouse on its way to Hagerstown, behind a B&O GP-38.

A train leaving Hagerstown would curve around the roundhouse (same track, use your imagination) on its way to Frostburg, behind a WM SD-35.

I still have to put loco/car service track in, but must wait a bit to recharge the budget.

The turntable and rounhouse are by Atlas. I built the cat from "scratch."

Bill

Attachments

• 01a.jpg
    01a.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 126

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
Here's more of the Baltimore/Hagerstown yard. The WM BL-2 and SD-35 are parked in front of the Hagerstown Freight depot. I built this from scratch also. Did I do a better job on the cat or the building?

The westbound main runs behind the cat, near to the wall.

Attachments

• 02a.jpg
    02a.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 118

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
Westminster occupies the 3 sidings here. The green building is Bowman's farm supply.

The Frostburg siding is on the left, nearest the wall. The flatcar visible is parked at United Energy Coal, in Frostburg.

The track nearest the table is the main that enters Hagerstown from the east.

Attachments

• 03a.jpg
    03a.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 123

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
The United Energy coal tipple is in the upper left -- scratchbuilt from poster board.

The red grain elevator is scratchbuilt from balsa. It sits at Union Bridge, which will eventually have the Lehigh quarry as well.

The passing siding at the bottom of the picture serves Westminster, and also Frostburg (because I have a bad enough back not to want to lean over to uncouple cars at Frostburg).

Attachments

• 04a.jpg
    04a.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 118

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
It's pretty clear that I have a lot more to do with this layout.

The 4 inches of styrofoam will house a river.

I'm also thinking of raising Frostburg up a couple of inches into the mountains where it belongs. That, of course, will require some track rearrangement, which will lead to something else, etc., etc., etc. It's a good thing I'm happy without the layout being complete!

Thanks for waiting for the photos.

Cheers,
Bill

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I think I'm going to ask Dave Hagan if we can start a new forum called "Cat Fancy"! :D :D :D
Seriously,
That is a nice looking layout you've started there, Cactus!

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
That's a great layout you have there, heaps of operating to be had on it. What size is it?
I wouldn't care much for having a black and white inpector like the one you employ examining my "expertise" :)

Errol

Cactus

Aug 27, 2001
Maryland
Visit site
Thanks for the encouragement, guys.

WM-N-Fan: Heh, Heh, the plan is to reflect the existence of Lehigh. The new structure they put up over there is 500 feet tall. The big crane they have for it was dismantled and hauled up to New York to move heavy debris from the World Trade Center. I don't know if it's back down here yet. Anyway, my Lehigh quarry will ship to Thomas, Bennett and Hunter in Westminster and also to Hagerstown and Baltimore.

Kettlestack: The leg with the yard is 10' 6" and the leg with the other towns is 9'. One thing that has slowed me down a bit on construction is that I have so much fun operating.

Bill

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
Cactus, I know exactly what you mean. I bet most construction work slows down dramatically after trains are capable of being run!

Then reasonably quick is the scenery for effect! ... Ah, we think, that's pretty good, now, where was I with running trains :) :) .

The next few years sees detail being applied (due to the boss of the house demanding more realism from our toys (Ooops, models).

At least this is how it is with me. :eek:

Errol