For Shamus

Discussion in 'Scratchin' & Bashin'' started by Matt Probst, Aug 28, 2002.

1. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Shamus- Since I purchased a structure building book from you, I've been busy building a couple. The first one I built is an odd, triangular shaped warehouse. I thought I'de name it after you! I hope you don't mind!!:rolleyes: :D :D ;)
    Sorry if this pic isn't the best quality, but I just figured out that if I put an entire building in my scanner, I can get an image to send!
    :rolleyes: ;) :rolleyes: :D :D :D :D

Matt--Hershey, Pa.

Attached Files:

2. sumpter250

sumpter250 multiscale modelbuilder

That building ! I built a model of that, 44 years ago ! It was a construction article by Joe Wilhelm in the January 1958 Model Trains magazine. The neat features are the wedge shape, and the brick second story over a wood sided lower story.
    Needless to say, my model doesn't exist any longer, time, moving, and available space all contributed to its demise.
    Nice model ! Thanks for the memory.
  3. sumpter250

Aha! I thought I had a photo somewhere !

Attached Files:

4. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

You're right Pete! Small world isn't it!! Those were the same plans all right...Joe Wilhelm the author. I decided to make mine all wood ,though, since that was the material I had on hand....
    My wife and I really enjoyed seeing your old model!!

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  5. Vic

Vic Active Member

Hi Pete, Whats the gizmo sitting in from of the building? The start of a self-propelled crane?
  6. sumpter250

Thought you might like to see that shot.
    The crane is one of the early versions of the 70 ton mobile crane, that Walthers recently re-released. The "gizmo" was the power truck from an FM switcher (Hobbytown, or Hobbyline, I can't remember) that quit running. I never did figure out why, and the loco disappeared years ago.
  7. Lighthorseman

Lighthorseman Active Member

Matt...nice job!!

Question...what sort of loco does one use to spot a levitated (nicely weathered) boxcar at a levitated industry?;)
  8. billk

billk Active Member

An 0-5-0 Levithian, obviously.
  9. Matt Probst

Matt Probst Member

Billk--My family is wondering what is wrong with me since I nearly fell out of my chair laughing!!!:D :p :) :D
    I was just going to reply: "a Leviathon" when your post popped up...I never would have thought you could actually scan a 3-d object, until I tried it on the thread "dirty boxcars".
    Does anyone know if that is any way hard on a scanner? The lid has to remain propped open allowing outside light in..

Matt--Hershey, Pa.
  10. shamus

shamus Registered Member

Hi Matt, nice thought using my name for a structure, looks very nice indeed.

11. TinGoat

TinGoat Ignorant know it all

I don't think that it harms the scanner as long as you don't force the lid.

You may be at risk of scratching the scanner bed. So you might want to put a piece of plexiglass/lexan over the scannerbed to protect it.

Another tip is to put a towel or soft cloth over the model to block out any light .