For enthusiasts who have no space

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
I haven't said much in posts but I've long admired Shamus's On30 modelling together with those others who scratch build just about everything. There's a charm about backwoods industries which use narrowgauge rails in their operations.

Well, here's a treat to get the braincells of those of us who think we don't have space for any sort of railroad. The following links will take you to a site which has about 24 'micro' layouts ranging in size from a circular biscuit tin in diameter to shelf layouts 9" x 4'.

There are also a lot of sketches of proposed 'micro' layouts and all-in-all is well worth spending time to feed your imaginations leading to you getting out of the chair and start building.

Inglenook layout 1’ x 6’ (for screw squirrel's benefit :eek: :D :-
http://carendt.com/scrapbook/page4/index.html

Index to the photos of 24 sets of micro layouts :-
http://carendt.com/scrapbook/linkindex/index.html

Most are so small I think I'll take up making dioramas based on some of the designs. (I'm in the doldrums about my existing N layout).

I sure hope you they inspire you.
Errol

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Errol,
Thats a great collection of small dioramas, I simply love um all.

By the way, are you going to enter the diorama comp which starts in May.?

Cheers
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks for the great links Errol!!!! I love looking at pictures of layouts and dioramas and that second site has tons of them.

As for inspiration, have you thought about a small 2x4 NTRAK module?? (Hey, where's the smiley for evil grin?)

:D Val

kettlestack

Jan 18, 2002
Scotland UK
Visit site
My first thought when I saw those 'micro' layouts was of a G-gauge oval (scenicked) in Caboose Hobbies in Denver with a pair of gandydancers on a hand cart trundling round! Quite charming.

Tyson, I haven't done anytything on my N layout in the last four months. :cry:

Shamus, I'm going to make an effort to enter something in the May 'Diorama' contest. Big question ... what of? :) :D

Val, I already have a 2ft x 5ft 6inch N layout. It needs about one square foot of scenery to be made then.... detailing the whole layout! The prospect is deterring me from starting. :eek:

Robin, I built the original 'Timesaver' switching layout years ago, it has given me hours of fun. I'd recommend it to all.

In general, I always considered small is beautiful so I'll probably go for an HOn3 'Timesaver' slightly modified to take scenery.
Gosh, if only vanilla were the choice! :confused: :confused:

Good luck to those 'who have no space' :)
Errol