For discussion - how do you name your layout?

Marxed

Jan 29, 2005
my railroad is the Marline Rail Road... just cause i love Marx trains soo much :D

MARLINES.jpg

i should think up a name for my town, but for now you can call it plasticville, since after all, it's plasticville!
http://www.tracksidetrains.com/TRAIN GRAPHICS/MARLINES.jpg

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Val,

Thanks for those links.

Some of the history will require a bit of thinking... Got to make sure it gets absorbed by the right non-fictional road. I was originally thinking that it was set up to connect with the Credit Valley's line to St Thomas, but that makes for a likely take over/absorption by TH&B (or maybe TG&B) and/or CPR (I think I have that right). Maybe it will be a line that was absorbed into GT as GT tried to outmanoeuver CPR across Southern Ontario, only to end up as part of CN.

EDIT - I am going to have to reread Ian Wilson's books, and find my 1912 Ontario atlas (that is a neat book - no roads, but lots of rails featured on the maps!)

Andrew

Will_annand

Jan 12, 2004
Huntsville, Ontario
www.muskokacomputes.com
Actually Andrew, The Credit Valley Railway's mainline was from Toronto to St. Thomas.
Chartered on Feb. 15, 1871, it was the first Standard Gauge RR in Ontario. The Credit Valley Railway was absorbed by the Ontario and Quebec Railway on Nov. 20, 1883.

Except for the N Scale CVR in Huntsville which survived until the turn of the century (1800 to 1900).

galt904

Jan 17, 2005
Beachville ON
I am planning to roughly capture current day operations on the line - lots of auto racks to CAMI, covered hoppers of fertilizer to Putnam, "the frame train", tanks & auto parts boxcars to Ingersoll to interchange with OSR. Looks like I need to get some GP9Rs and weather the crap out of them. :)

steamhead

Apr 16, 2005
Brownsville, TX
Hi,
My road, the "Las Cruces & Portales RR", gets its name from two small New Mexico towns, in which I've never set a foot on...I just like the names. Also, my RR is a small branch line that gets and feeds traffic from these two towns from and into the main UP/SF line (modeled "off-stage" via 4 staging tracks). I also envision someday the SF Super Chief (the most beautiful train ever to roll...) will come booming by, sending all other traffic running for the nearest bypass siding...(I don't yet have ANY of the pieces to make up this super-liner...). That's the story behind my dream railroad...
Gus.:thumb:

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
The Perth and Exeter was named by my wife after 2 small towns in Ontario where we grew up. (Perth was the eastern end of the Ontario and Quebec -- see post above) It is also suitable for a British line -- either a major amalgamation to defeat the Great Western, or a small line with ambitions!
The Esquesing and Chinguacousy is named after the two local townships with the typesetter's nightmare of a name. Probably follows the route of the Toronto Suburban.
Andrew: are you still with us? You can call your modules by the name of the station, or you can call the the Canadian National Railway - North Gower division, or you can name it for the small railway that built the original line, or the short line that was spun off from it.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Hi David,

Still reading along... As I noted above, I think I will go with something like the "Marlpost Sub" to describe the whole layout. The "town" is Marlpost, and there will be a Marlpost Junction nearby.

I like the idea of inventing a history for it - maybe this line was originally built as the Marlpost & ?, only to be taken over/incoproated into Canadian Goernment Railways and then Canadian National in the early 1920s (along with so many others...).

Andrew

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Will_annand said:
Andrew, is it true that Marlpost was a major supplier of fence posts to southern Ontario?

No idea. As far as I know, Marlpost, Ontario is entirely fictional. The name comes from England, where among other things, it was the name of my Grandfather's house about 1 hour from London. The house is now remembered in "Marlpost Estates" and "Marlpost Road" - the house was demolished and several dozen new homes built on the property some years ago.

For the record, I believe this is the most common meaning of "marl":

marl

n : a loose and crumbling earthy deposit consisting mainly of calcite or dolomite; used as a fertilizer for soils deficient in lime

Source: WordNet ® 2.0, © 2003 Princeton University @ Dictionary.com

Andrew