Fold-away harbour

Discussion in 'HO Scale Model Trains' started by Glen Haasdyk, Mar 6, 2005.

1. Glen Haasdyk

Glen Haasdyk Active Member

As I was building the benchwork for my layout I discouvered that I hadn't left enough room for a decent sized harbour (big enough for a boat and a long enough pier) I came up with this solution:
    folded away

And folded open

This effectivly doubles the harbour size and allows me to place a tugboat and barge in the 'water'
  2. interurban

interurban Active Member

:thumb: Glenn that looks great, I am glad you posted this idea, you got me thinking now!!! :wave:
  3. Livesteam

Livesteam Member

You got to love those harbours. ;)
  4. Ralph

Ralph's for fun!

That is really clever...and like Chris said, you've got me thinking...there is a place on my layout I could do something like that!
  5. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

That's a great idea Glen. Now we need to see photos of you boats.
  6. Glen Haasdyk

The Tug boat is on it's way, and then it will have to be modified a little in the meantime here's a closeup:

7. knk

knk New Member

Hi Glen,

Great looking harbor, what did you use for water?
  8. Matthyro

Matthyro Will always be re-membered

What I find amazing is that the hinge line is unobtrusive. It just blends right in there.
  9. Muddy Creek

Muddy Creek Member

It's a good example of how to overcome the "I just don't have the room for..." syndrome.

The idea that a layout needs to be ready to roll at the flick of a switch is very limiting. Hinged, drop-in or otherwise removeable sections can open up a world of operation that the allotted space seems to limit.

When someone says "I only have room for a 2'x8' shelf layout," it usually means for a traditional fixed layout on permanent benchwork. If other room uses permit, that 2x8 could extend another 8' or 16' by attaching light-weight modules that store under the layout when not in use. It just takes some planning and a mind open to new ideas and possibilities. Glen's new dock area shows how a little ingenuity can increase the interest in a layout's operation.

10. Glen Haasdyk

Trust me Robin, you can still see the joint mark, poor photography just hides it better!

The water is a sheet of glass on each section of the harbour. It's painted black for the deep part of the harbour and tan for under the pier.(it's painted on the underside) You have to be careful since the glass can crack when you put the pier down if you aren't gentle enough. Since these pictures were taked I added waves using WS water effects.

The hinge is a piano hinge that runs the length of the joint to allow proper alignment. When rainsed the section is held with a barrel lock and when lowered is is held with a simple hook and eye.