Foam??

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
In the April 2005 magazine of Model Railroader there was a section on desert scenery by Pelle Soeborg and his very cool and detailed Mojave desert layout. He used Extruded Polystyrene Insulation that is either a pink of blue color and comes in a 16", 18", 24" or 48" x 8' sheet to model his scenery (hills...)

I tried going to home depot and I could not seem to find it. There was a huge line in costumer service and knowone who worked there seemed to know what I was talking about. :curse: :curse:

My Question is: Does anyone know where I can get this stuff or order it?

pasayten

It is at Home Depot up here in Washington... Owens Corning Formular 250 (pink) extruded polystyrene... Many different thicknesses in 2' x 8' boards... I just purchased a couple for my layout base... In the building/lumber section... Also some white, more granulated foam boards... it was not as rigid or tough... that brand I do not remember...

Do not know if it is a California issue or not...

pasayten

ezdays

Out AZ way
TruckLover said:

I tried going to home depot and I could not seem to find it. There was a huge line in costumer service and knowone who worked there seemed to know what I was talking about. :curse: :curse:

My Question is: Does anyone know where I can get this stuff or order it?
We have it here at both our local Home Depot and Lowe's. HD keeps it in the same dept as the cement, rebar and other bldg materials. At Lowe's you just have to look for it, they move it around. I've also contacted a few dealers that sell to the construction people and they carry it. You'll pay anywhere from $7 to $10 for a 2' x 8' sheet, 1" thick.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Thanks guys.

pasayten - I just checked on Owens Corning.com for there Formular 250 (pink) extruded polystyrene and typed in my zip code and only found that 1 place has it in San Diego, CA. - EXPO Building Supplies. I guess I will be making a trip there since knowone else carries it with-in a 100 miles from here. Thanks for the help:)

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Yep, thats that stuff all right.

Ya thats probly why they don't have it hardly anywhere here.:curse: :curse:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Biased turkey said:
View attachment 27051
Is it what you are looking for ?
It's made fot home insulation.
Who would need it in sunny California :)
Don't know about California, but we here in Arizona can use all the insulation we can get into a house. Getting a $300 A/C bill in the summer 'cause it's 115 degrees out does make one think that way. :wave: :wave: I can't see where S. Cal is that much different.

Russ Bellinis

You don't need pink or blue. There is also a light brown colored extruded foam with foil on one or both sides. It will work as well. In any case be careful if you cut it with a hot foam cutter. Those work by melting the foam, and when t any of those foams burn they give off hazardous fumes. If you don't have a hot wire cutter, a steak knife with serrated edges will cut it as well.

ezdays

Out AZ way
railroader9731 said:
gee ezday and i thought it got hot up here in ny well thats my last complaint
Yeah, that's typical, our max heat was 122 degrees, I think it was around June 1990. I was here, and actually, once it gets over 110, you really don't notice the difference. Remember though, it's a dry heat, or so they say.:rolleyes: Hot is hot, no matter what...:D

Russ Bellinis

I know what you mean, Don. I lived in upstate NY for a couple of years. I met and married my wife there, but I had the good sense to move her out here away from the snow asap! Friends in N.Y. kept telling how hot it was going to get in the summer and how the humidity would get to me, and it was winter again before I knew it and I was still waiting for it to get hot! Fortunately it doesn't get that hot out here on the coast, but if I go 50-75 miles East into the desert it will go above 120 degrees regularly. I think our hottest days are probably 110, I don't remember seeing it hotter than that in the L.A. area. It really doesn't seem all that hot around here until it gets above 100 degrees, except for the solar gain when a car is parked in the sun!! Even with gas at $3.00 per gallon, it is tempting to start a car that has been sitting in the sun for a while and let the a/c pull down the temp for a couple of minutes before getting in.