Foam vs Foam

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
This has been rattling around in my head for some time now and I think it's time to shake it loose. In almost every post that I have read on The Gauge that mentions it, the pink or blue foam is recomended instead of the white stuff. The main reason given is the mess that cutting the white stuff makes. My question is; is that the only reason not to use it? I plan on building a hot wire foam cutter which seems like it would eliminate a large part of that. I ask because the white is cheap and abundant compared to the other types. Are there other issues that would make it unuseable? Can someone (anyone? :) ) finally put this issue to rest? :confused: :confused: :confused:

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
It also breaks more easily and is less readily sculptable--the shape of the little beads affects the final texture. Even if you're using a hot knife, it doesn't come out as smooth.

I'm stuck using the white stuff, since I live in the People's Republic of California and the blue and pink stuff probably kills spotted owls or something. It does the job, but it does make a mess.

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
I used the white beaded foam on the HO layout I'm currently building.
http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=11976
The white beaded foam will break easier and needs a little more support from the benchwork.
I used 2" foam directly over a 1' grid benchwork. It probably doesn't need that much support unless you plan to stand on it. (like I have done)
The roadbed contour was cut with a home made hot wire tool after the track was laid.
The foam was roughly shaped with a hacksaw blade, then shaped with a rasp and drywall joint compound added to blend the seams.
Sanding the foam with 80 grit sand paper will take care of the bead texture mentioned above.
After a coat of acrylic latex paint it was ready for the ground cover.
Yes, it was very messy, but nothing a shop-vac can't handle.

Pitchwife

Dreamer
Apr 23, 2001
The middle of nowhere Oregon
Visit site
Thanks for all of the positive input my friends. :thumb: I'm glad to know that it really can be used. The local hardware store sells 2'X8' sheets of it in thicknesses from 1/2" through 6" for less than $8 a sheet depending on the thickness. You can make lots of mountains at that rate. :eek:
Also, thanks Ray for the tip about sanding. And it's a good thing I have a shop vac. :D :D :D :D

jetrock

Dec 18, 2003
Visit site
b28_82 said:
Haha also you guys seem to be the only ones that can get cancer from a lot of products :)

Nah, we're just the only state that objects to its citizens getting cancer--in other places they're too busy ducking hurricaines to worry about such things.

California's a pretty great place to live--if only it wasn't for the region's #1 environmental hazard, namely Californians.

theBear

Oct 1, 2004
In the woods of Maine
jetrock said:
snippeth ...

I'm stuck using the white stuff, since I live in the People's Republic of California and the blue and pink stuff probably kills spotted owls or something.

snippeth ...
Just wait a bit the blues are all heading to Canada ... our poor freinds up there will have to put up with them. Of course as soon as they get there however they'll complain about the temperature being too cold.

I suspect there are a few Californians that would find the concept of 'Saving thousand$ on a years heating bill' difficult to understand. Some may have no idea what a heating bill is. Not a lot of call for high R factor products.

The pink and blue stuff is way more versatile than the white. It is considerably stronger and can be carved with fine detail if you are clever that way.