Foam Cutting Made Easy

Discussion in 'Tips & Tricks' started by Herc Driver, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Herc Driver

Herc Driver Active Member

Maybe everyone but me knew this...but I've found that cutting foam board for the layout base is much easier using a carpet knife than utilitiy knife or other blade. The angle helps to see what you're cutting and the blade is long but thin. You can almost cut through 1" foam board, deep enough to score it so that the rest snaps off easily.
  2. stormfather

stormfather Member

I'll agree there, utility knives really aren't all that good at cutting foam. And if you get overeager, you'll end up tearing chunks out of it. I picked up a hot wire foam cutter a month ago. You'll never want to go back to knives again. It literally slides right through the foam with absolutely no resistance. But watch out, because they go through wire very quickly, and woodland scenics' foam cutter doesn't come with any spare wire. When I first got mine, I got to use it for all of ten minutes before the wire snapped.
  3. Herc Driver

Wow - thanks for the tip. I just cut my 1" foam last night and unlike other knives that seem to bunch up the foam when cutting across or against the grain of the foam (which probably isn't the right term, but hopefully you know what I mean) the carpet knife easily handled cutting curves in any direction. If the blade would be over 1" - it would be perfect. As it is, the blade cuts into the foam a little over 1/2" so I just snap off the rest and clean up whatever is left. Not a perfect cut, but almost.
  4. nolatron

nolatron Member

I've been thinking about getting a hot knife too, to do some forming here and there.

That WS foam cutter thing with the wire was worthless. Wires snapped, and eventually the plastics handled started coming apart and wouldn't hold the rods in place.
  5. leon

leon Member

I use my Weller soldering Iron gun. I use a piece of 14 guage copper wire and bend it to the shape I need and turn it on. The heat is sufficent to cut through the foam board quite nicely. One thing though---when the copper heats up it does become softer and will bend easily.
  6. Herc Driver

Another good idea!