Foam board - what is it?

Discussion in 'Track Planning' started by Evan, Jun 9, 2005.

  1. Evan

    Evan Member


    I'm looking for Foam Board. But, I don't know what it's called in South Africa. Does anyone have another name for it? I phoned the local hobby shops, and they don't use it at all - they use cookie-cutter method for track, and polystrene pieces for scenery. Help!! :)

  2. jetrock

    jetrock Member

    What you are looking for is extruded polystyrene. It is sold as insulation material, and comes in pink and blue varieties. The "polystyrene pieces for scenery" you mention are probably what you are looking for.
  3. 60103

    60103 Pooh Bah

    South Africa may not get cold enough for houses to be insulated (I really need to check my world map). The hobby shop may have Woodland Scenics pieces which work but are more expensive than construction grade. See what the lumber yard or hardware store has.
  4. Evan

    Evan Member

    Found it!!!


    Found it. I managed to, after about 30 phone calls, track down a company that makes insolation material to keep heat out during summer - sometimes we have days around 40 degrees C. They have sheets of the stuff, going to see it on Monday to make sure it's the right stuff. Thanks for the help, everyone.
  5. Dorcas

    Dorcas New Member

    Foam track

    Go to your motor car battery distributor. In Australia their batts' come in pallots and have poly' (about 3ft by 4 ft and 1.5'' thick) these pieces of poly'make an ideal train bed and they cost nothing our fellows here is glad to have somebody collect then.
    Tom.S :sleeping: and I am now going to bed.

Share This Page