Foam and Under Table Switch Machines

ScottyB

Dec 12, 2004
Mount Pleasant, WI
Hey all,

2" foam resting on "bed frame" benchwork (95% of the foam is accessible from below)

Atlas #65 (or #66) switch machines.

Idea #1) Extending the throw pin somehow, but was not sure what the best way to do this was.

Idea #2) Digging into the foam about 1 1/2". Not sure what the best way is to do this.

Idea #3 - whatever) -- your responses...

Thanks,
Scott

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
My first thought - cut the foam completely away (i.e. make a hole right through) leaving about 1/2" clearance around the switch machine. Cutting down from the top, make a recess that is bigger than the hole by about 1" (or more) on each side, and 1/4" deep. Mount the switch machine to 1/4" ply, and drop it in the hole. Secure with foam friendly adhesive.

You might want to try a test / mock-up first...

Andrew

Pete

Jun 2, 2001
New Brunswick, Canada
www.hioutput.com
You could borrow a trick from the under-table mounting brackets intended for Peco turnouts and their PL-10 motors.
A short length of brass tubing slips over the pin of the motor to extend it's reach up to the turnout, and a small nail drops through the hole in the throwbar and into the tubing to transfer it's movement.

northern_blues

Jan 4, 2005
Aurora, ON
Explanation of my post above:

Basically the pictures show that the builder has traced an outline of the top or lip of the switch machine. They then used a rotary mini tool and routed inside the traced outline to a very shallow depth, the same as the thickness of the top part of the switch machine.

Next, they determined the size of the square hole that they then needed to sink the switch machine into the foam. They cut out this foam and then laid the switch machine in. Perfect fit, looks very professional.

-Dave