Flywheel on a FP7

Grotto

Jun 29, 2006
Toronto
I was just looking at Model Power loco's and I saw a FP7 with flywheel.
I know what a flywheel does in other areas but WTH does it have to do with model trains.
I am curious.
Grotto.

MilesWestern

Sep 20, 2005
CA
protopaintwest.googlepages.com
A flywheel (Athearn's famous for this) smooths overall performance of your locomotive when changing speeds, also it makes a trip over dirty spots in your track much easier, because it doesn't jerk to a stop. Depending on the size of the flywheel, you can have a VERY nice running locomotive! :thumb: If it's the N scale FP7, It does make a big difference on handling and performance, and I suggest you only buy locomotives with flywheels, it's like sound, after you own one, you want every engone you own to have them! :)

(on another note, it seems I'm the first to answer mpost of your questions, Grotto! :rolleyes: Just doin' my job :wave: )

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Like Miles said, once you've run one, you won't want to go back.:thumb:

PS...A flywheel equipped motor is a great indicator of the quality of the unit too.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Flywheels wereone of the first attempts at adding inertia to loco operations. It was more successful than the centrifugal clutch. The idea being to make starting and stopping take longer. The inertia effects are now done electronicly (Transistor throttles and DCC chips) but the pickup effect has stayed.