FlyModel K-141 Kursk

Stev0

Jan 30, 2006
There should be fine print on the model.

*not for persons living in cramped quarters such AS A SUBMARINE.

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Ran into a hitch today...dont get it.

The doors to the weapons bay didnt line up, Ive decided to close one bay as that will be the one facing the wall and place some missile tubes in the other, but the doors didnt line up on the bottom. I care fully nipped the tabs off and placed them in correct fashion...nothing bad but....

Got a lot of the plating together, very happy with it.

Im going to leave the sail till last, and only fill one weapons bay. The sail as said above has the Crest that is etched into the mind of anyone who followed the story of Kursk so working with that will be thought provoking to say the least for me, completely messed up situation...

Ok Im out for now

Attachments

• 33DSC03516.jpg
    33DSC03516.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 21
  • 33DSC03545.jpg
    33DSC03545.jpg
    185.2 KB · Views: 21
  • 33DSC03556.jpg
    33DSC03556.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 27

Bengt F

Nov 26, 2005
K-141 "Kursk" 1:100 Scale Model

Gee, John John,

What a clean and good-looking model build - you are doing a great job of it! And the photos are superb - so sharp. What kind of camera are you using, if I may ask?

This 1:100 scale Fly Model sub is really a monster. Sooner or later, I will have to buy it, too. I have been very interested in these huge Russian subs ever since I saw "The Hunt for Red October", some years ago.

Keep up the good work,
Bengt :thumb:

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
I have the Adore Red October but Im not too interested in building it, its a fairly old kit and half the scale of the Kursk and then again about 1 tent the detail.... and the 1000 other projects I have...Ahh the curse of models...never enough time

Im not sure if you can see in the picture with the Kursk standing in its tail but there has been a noticeable change in the over all colour of the plating...its about 15% off and it looks like it will continue along till the Props and stern... but I was more concerned about having a checkered alternating miss-match along the entire hull so I still give Flymodel a cheer for job well done.

Hello Bengt...I see you have found the reason Im not builing the Titanic...Im using a Sony Cybershot DSCF-717 Camer on Email setting, Its a great cam that I have dragged all over the world and it keeps ticking over nicely.

The model is advertised as 154cm LOA...and it really wasnt joking....

Just thinking...our board itself has 4 to 5 different topics about this kit and Kartonbau.de has a few more, all out of packaging reviews.......why did someone wait so long to do a build thread?

John John

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
woo hoo

Plating finished....

My God that was a laugh...well done to Flymodel

Now to the Props and dive planes, sail...missile tubes....oh this might take a while...

John John

Attachments

• xxDSC03563.jpg
    xxDSC03563.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 27
  • xxDSC03559.jpg
    xxDSC03559.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 27
B

Bionic Modeler

cant wait to see the conning tower. The logo is a very pretty thing.

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Well Ive finished off the rear Dive Planes, Very Russian looking with the with the twin screws..

I built the screws by making the center, using a dremmel with a cutting disc to open the slots up and inserting the blades. Colouring then with a bronze tinted paint..I like the effect and its stronger than I could have hoped

Till next time...happy Thanksgiving to my former neighbours

John John

Attachments

• 3b.jpg
    3b.jpg
    118.4 KB · Views: 18
  • 3a.jpg
    3a.jpg
    107.9 KB · Views: 19
  • 3c.jpg
    3c.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 19

Gil

Jan 25, 2004
Northern Bear Flag Republic
John John,

Have you been having a recurring dream that you're watching Sky Captain and Worlds of Tomorrow and wake up with a start realizing that you just might be working on an airship and not a submarine?...,

Very nicely done and have a great ex-ex pat Thanksgiving Day...,

+Gil

NYC Irish

Apr 26, 2004
Cork Ireland
Hello all and thanks Gents for all the good wishes.

One thing that I had hoped for was to add a railing system that is shown on the model and positions marked for it along the sail and hump of the model but I have not been able to find a way to make the railings themselves...has anyone seen a laser cut or know of anyone who made their own PE set for it?

Any help appreciated

John John

David H

Nov 2, 2005
I live in North Yorkshire
Hi JJ,

Very very very cool props - real Hunt for Red October stuff (making appropriate Hollywood noise - "wo wo wo wo").

What s the problem with the railings... would thread and CA glue method not work?

D

dansls1

May 7, 2007
Great looking sub! You have also joined the list of large scale modelers that my wife is 'glad I'm not as crazy as' ;)